Chapter Eleven

The next few days passed as if they were a dream. Summer spent every moment she could with Decker, even sneaking kisses between classes and longing looks as they passed each other briefly in the halls. She kept Tarzan close to her. When Biji wasn't available to watch the fawn, Summer took him to her classes.

A week after the dance, she rested with Decker on a blanket on the rock overlooking the valley. Her gaze was on the full moon above. Just as Decker said, it had seemed to rise out of the valley and lingered over the edges of Miner's Drop, huge and bright. They lay on their sides, her body pressed against his. The fawn dozed on a pillow Summer brought for him.

"I thought you'd like it," Decker said softly.

Summer snuggled closer to him. "It's beautiful. I didn't think you wanted me in the forest after dark, though."

"If you're with me, it's okay."

She rolled onto her back, gazing up at Decker. His face was a mix of light and shadows in the bright moonlight. He kissed her tenderly, running his fingers down her face and neck, pausing at her amulets. The one containing her soul glowed faintly while the protection amulet was dark.

"I'm glad Sam gave this to you," he said. He rested his hand on her stomach. Everywhere he touched her, fire lit up her blood. Sometimes, she could barely breathe, she was so warm.

"Do you know why he did?" she asked.

"Not exactly. Some secrets I don't get to learn for another week," he said. "But if Sam thought you were in danger, I'm happy he's protecting you."

"A week," she murmured. "My birthday is the day after yours. I still can't use my magick."

Decker released more of his own into her, tickling her. She giggled in response.

"You have to find the key," he said.

She met his gaze. "I might know what it is."

Even touching, the tension between them grew thicker. Her body burned for him in a way she'd never wanted anyone else. She didn't understand the changes her body underwent when he was around, only that it happened for him. She guessed he was also the only one who could sate them. Decker stroked her cheek, holding her gaze.

"Would you, um, stay with me this weekend?" he whispered. "My family has a cabin near here. We can go there tomorrow for the weekend. I can teach you how to use your magick. I'm not really sure what'll happen once I turn eighteen, if I'll have time to help while I learn my new duties. And we could ... maybe ...stay together overnight."

Summer's breath caught and her blood pounded in her ears. She was well aware of what staying with him for a weekend meant. Decker was known at the school for sleeping around. Her body screamed for her to agree. The taunts of Dawn and her friends had only gotten worse the past week. Would Decker, too, think she was fat if he saw her naked? She hesitated to respond then reminded herself that being with Decker seemed to be the only place she felt safe.

"Yes," she managed. "Yes, Decker, I will."

He kissed her again, and she clung to him, sighing aloud when his body met the length of hers. Her magick was at a shout, her need twice as loud. Something hard and long pressed against her thigh, and she shifted away.

"Sorry," he said, leaning back. "That's ..." Even in the night, he turned red.

It took Summer a minute to register why he was embarrassed. She laughed.

"You have that same effect on me," he said breathing in the scent of her hair. "I've been trying to hide it."

"I do?" she asked, grinning. She reached up to touch his face. His jaw line was rough from not shaving for a couple of days. The shading of his stubble gave him a more rugged, dangerous appearance.