16

"A lumber mill

"A lumber mill." Harley scoffed. "A freaking lumber mill. Could this be more of a Dean accident waiting to happen. Especially now when you're freaked out by a hairdryer"

Sam's wood-chip eureka concluded in a trip to Cassity & Sons Lumber Mill. It was clearly an accident waiting to happen which could be part of the reason Dean was hesitant to even go into the mill and refused to hold a gun. Instead, he held a flashlight flush against his chest to 'lead the way'.

"Hey, you turned that thing on when I wasn't ready." Dean accused. "And the whirring sound isn't exactly pleasant."

Harley rolled her eyes, her and Sam raising their guns in preparation to enter the mill. Dean hesitantly raised his flashlight as if he was scared to even hold that. Once inside, Sam's emf reader started to whir nonstop. Deans head whipped at the sound, his hand clinging to Harley's arm.

"Emf's not gonna work around you, sissy." She teased with a grin, poking Dean's side.

"You'll never let this go, will you." Dean clenched his jaw in the realization that his actions now would haunt him in a 5'2 girl. Harley slowly shook her head causing Dean to close his eyes with a sigh.

To their left Sam stepped on something, making a screeching sound which arose a jump from Dean. Harley raised her hand up to her mouth to stifle a laugh, the oldest Winchester pretending it never happened and bending down to check what Sam had found.

"To Frank, love Jessie." He read. "This is Frank O'Brien's ring."

"What the hell was Frank doing here?" Dean thought aloud. Metal rattling caught the attention of the group, everyone's heads snapping up. Harley and Sam glanced at each other before they nodded and began walking towards the sound - Dean lighting their way.

Another room down the hallway was decorated with lines of lockers, one in particular making a racket. "On three." Sam mouthed, his hand reaching for the handle. Dean watched intently, Harley's gun trained on the locker. On three, Sam yanked open the door only to reveal a stray cat. While Sam and Harley were relieved, Dean was screaming bloody murder at the sight of the pet.

A few moments later, Dean stopped screaming and leant forward on his knees to catch his breath. "That was scary!" He chuckles nervously.

"Horrifying." Harley raised an eyebrow. Sam made an uncomfortable exit from the room while the girl patted Dean, who was still panting, on the shoulder.

"Is that it, are we done?" Dean questioned in a small voice. Harley watched as Sam turned into another room.

"Not quite."

Sam made his way over to a table that, like the rest, was scattered with various documents. He was, however, able to find a name card. "Luther Garland."

Harley headed straight with Dean on her trail. A large drawing stood out more than any other paper, a drawing of a girl that looked vaguely familiar. "Wait," Harley realized. "Is that Frank's wife?"

Dean dug through his pockets, pulling out a picture of the girl in the drawing. "Plot thickens." He reached for the parchment.

"Into what?" Sam inquired, looking at the drawing in wonder. To get a closer look, Dean ripped it from the table subsequently setting something off which made the entire factory begin to work. A shriek arose from Dean's mouth as he scanned the room with his flashlight. After looking around for a few moments, both Harley and Sam turned their backs. Dean, however, was still staring at something across the room. Once the two realized this, they both turned back around only to raise their guns at someone who hadn't been standing there before.

"Hey!" Sam called out. The man was unresponsive so Sam lowered his gun turning to look back at Dean. But Dean was running away, holding Harley in a death grip.

"Sorry!"

☼☼☼

For some odd reason that neither Harley or Sam could explain, Dean in his current state depended on Harley to be with him at all times. Even with Sam 10x stronger and bigger than her, Dean somehow believed Harley would help him more in a situation where he needed it. So there she was, letting a drunk Dean lean on her in the middle of a police station where they were supposed to look like respectable agents. "Dean, stand up." Harley whispered harshly hearing a comment from the officer Sam was talking to. The oldest Winchester lazily straightened his back sending a wink and point in Sam's direction.

After Sam got the information he needed, him and Harley exited the station, forgetting that one of their own needed watching over. "Harley, where's Dean?" Sam questioned once they were at the impala. Harley cursed running back into the station and bringing out a stumbling mess of a hunter.

"Get in, bud." Harley groaned, shoving Dean into the passenger seat.

"Actually, can you put him in the back." Sam asked hopefully, Harley grinning as she did what he said.

"Why? Wanna spend more time with me." She grinned wildly, stepping closer to the Winchester.

"More because you're slightly better company than a comatose Dean." Sam side stepped away from the girl who squinted muttering a 'wow'.

"Where are we goin'?" Harley questioned once they were settled in and on the road.

"To visit Luther Garland's brother." Sam rushed out. Harley side glanced him, confused with how he was acting.

"Why are you being weird?" She asked, watching Sam fidget in his seat as if recalling something. "Is this about Christmas?" Harley grinned once she knew she made the right guess. Sam cleared his throat, pretending not to hear her. "Come on, Sammy. It was just a-"

"I don't want another Ruby." Sam blurted, cutting Harley off. "Last time I had any kind of relationship with someone like you-"

"Someone like me?" Harley raised her eyebrows, mildly offended at his choice of words.

"You know what I mean. Someone I'm not supposed to be with. Dean and I had one of our biggest fights, I became addicted to demon blood. It just isn't a good idea, Harley." Sam explained, rubbing his forehead.

The two sat in silence for a few minutes, Sam tapping the steering wheel overcome with nerves. Harley didn't talk until they had arrived at the nursing home where Luther Garland's brother was. Sam put the car in park, turning his attention to the girl. "Har-"

"I'm not Ruby, okay?" She spoke finally, glancing over at the youngest Winchester with the most emotion he had every seen emitted from her. "She treated you like shit and if you think i'm anything like her, maybe you should avoid me. Because she didn't deserve you, and neither do I."

Harley got out of the car then, leaving a dumbfounded Sam staring at where she had been.

______________________

shiiiii
i'm v excited to write their relationship progress whether it's platonic or not..
thanks for reading!