Challenge Accepted

Chapter 2

"Hi, you're the new recruit, right? Have you seen the view from the top?

The receptionist asked eagerly. She was a plump, dark lady with heavy makeup, who brazenly proved her marital status sporting a long mangalsutra that went down till her belly (a chain worn by married ladies), a heavy red border of red vermilion running across her head and her long manicured nails painted in red. Kushi noticed her nails and wondered how she managed to maintain their length amidst all the typing and paperwork she dealt with.

"Where do you live? Do you have any siblings?" She asked and sounded louder than ever.

"I live in the suburbs, and no I'm the only child."

"So you're the spoiled brat huh! Congratulations on the new job, Mr. Seth, your new boss is waiting for you on the 5th floor." She informed and caught her off guard with the spoiled brat remark.

Thanking the loud receptionist for directions, she strutted towards the elevator and turned heads. Kushi was like a breath of fresh air in the dull workplace dominated by middle aged, old employees who were on the brink of retirement. There were a few young ones, but were scattered out in different departments. Unfamiliar to her new surroundings, she felt a little exploring wouldn't hurt and took the receptionist suggestion.

Hence, Instead of reporting to her boss that morning, Kushi stepped out on the roof top and embraced the gust of wind that blew in her direction. The view at the top was breath taking. To her right was the city skyline and to her left was the Arabian Sea. Looking over the sea, she lingered her gaze over the Sea Link that connected the suburbs to the metropolis.

"New year, new beginning ..." She gave a pat on her back and felt happy to be begin her new innings at Chemour. 

When she turned to leave, she ran into the guy she had encountered during the interview.

"Whoa, careful! You would have dropped my pizza," he complained.

"Who brings pizza up on the roof?"

"Rohan, of course,"

"Rohan, who?"

"Rohan, me!" He winked and bit into a slice. "I realized I didn't introduce myself the other day, I'm Rohan," he added with his mouth stuffed.

Kushi shook hands with him and checked him out. He was well built, tall and had Greek God like features that made him look all the more attractive. Not to mention his hazel eyes that gazed unabashedly at her legs.

"Yeah I recognized you...con artist," she commented and crossed her legs.

"Con artist, who?"

"Con artist, you!"

He broke into a laugh and looked at her. "You're funny, by the way don't your feet hurt in that?" he gazed down at her red stilettos and made her conscious.

"No they don't. So why were you pretending to be a candidate the other day?"

"Care to have some? It's fresh from the fridge" Rohan offered her the half eaten slice while she frowned.

"Who eats cold pizza?"

Rohan charmingly raised the collar of his magenta shirt that complemented his fair complexion, implying that he did. "Don't tell me you've never tasted one, how old are you?"

"Twenty five and no I have no appetite for frozen food," she remarked. "Why are we even having this conversation, you were supposed to answer my question?"