Chapter 14 part 2 New Enemies

I ran deep into the woods behind my house, all my emotions fueling my body to run faster. I would have been faster if I had shifted but, I had become a rogue the moment I decided to leave my pack. If I had shifted into my wolf it would have made me seem like more of a threat to anyone I came across in my escape from everything I've ever known. I wasn't a strong fighter, if I had needed to protect myself I wouldn't have survived, another reason I ran on two legs instead of four. I ran for what felt like hours until my legs ached and I took a break, leaning against an old tree. Sweat poured down my back and face as I tried to gather the strength to run further into the forest and I noticed the sun had set and the sky had been painted in a dark blue hue. I finally collapsed onto the ground at the base of the tree; I curled up, using my bag as a pillow, and fell fast asleep, my strong legs aching from the long day's journey.

The next morning I continued my adventure through the dense forest, the dried leaves that had fallen from their mother's limbs crunching under my paws with quiet cries. Long since had it been that I passed the pack border; it had hurt excruciatingly to feel every single pack tie being ripped out of me like needles until I was left with the numbing hollowness I'd felt inside my chest. It took me a few hours to get used to being a rouge the previous day, the headache it caused me made thinking more difficult. It could have been worse, I reasoned with myself, I could have been dead; killed by a rogue the second I passed through the pack territory line. Although, if I had died Michael would have felt it through his wolf, just as I would have felt it in mine if he had died. He would have known I had left and I had failed to make a new life for myself; I wondered if he would have mourned my loss or if he would have been so much happier knowing I had died.

I began to think about all the positives I had left in life, instead of all the negative thoughts that had began swirling around in my mind. I wouldn't suffer the further torment of everyone in my old pack, I was responsible for myself and I had my wolf to keep me company. I could feel my wolf's pain and despair caused by leaving her pack, but she had agreed we would not have lasted much longer in that wretched place. I had shifted that morning, stripping off my dirty clothes and shoving them into my bag, because my wolf had wanted to take control and felt she'd be able to keep us safer than I could. She walked us to a nearby stream and she drank the cold, clear water. It felt amazing to drink the ice cold water, considering the last thing I'd drank was at lunch the day before; I'd become very dehydrated.

Suddenly I'd heard a small twig snap behind me, thanks to my wolf's heightened hearing. I straightened and sniffed the air. Cucumbers? What the-. I was tackled into the icy water, my fur soaking wet in the stream while a larger wolf laid on top of me, snarling at me threateningly. It was a blur of brown fur and growls as I tried to throw my attacker off me. I began to plan an escape route, knowing I was not fit to take on a larger wolf, and all was suddenly silent. A deep, powerful howl erupted from behind me, and with my final ounce of energy, I bit into the wolf pinning me into the stream. Blood exploded into my mouth, a foul iron tasting substance, and the beast cried out in pain.

This was an awful idea. I'm a rouge now. I'm in another pack's territory, I panicked, trying to look around for the wolf that had howled so powerfully. Normally when a pack finds a rouge on their territory, the alpha can decide to either imprison the rouge, or kill him or her. What if they kill me? Oh no I cant die. I have so much to live for. I tried to claw and bite, scrabbling to get away before the brown wolf could kill me. I knew I was a rouge but, what if I'd just apologized for walking into their territory, and for biting the attacker wolf's neck; though honestly I felt he'd deserved it for tackling me. I couldn't apologize because I couldn't shift into my human form with this heavy beast laying upon my chest, stifling my breathing.

I continued to struggle under the wolf, rolling onto my side and clawing at his chest above me, when I heard several beasts running towards us. Fear swelled up in my chest as I realized I would die in that stream, the water would be tainted with my blood and carry it down stream, into a lake somewhere. My life essence would dilute in that lake and I would be forever forgotten by everyone I had ever known. I stop struggling and close my eyes, my wolf and I saying our goodbyes as something very large approached my stilled body. I could hear his paws splash into the stream and I opened my eyes to see who would finally end my suffering on this earth. An alpha wolf stood tall and proud above me, his eyes black as he communicated with, I assumed, the wolf who had caught me. I began to struggle again, the idea of being held prisoner and being submitted to torture flashing through my mind. Suddenly, in my mad scramble to try to get away, my head was hit on a rock and the world around me faded to black.