Chapter 22 part 2 An Example

I chuckle as the young pack member stands in front of me, his tall figure blocking the bright, hot sun. I could easily maneuver those lanky legs and arms, assuming he stayed in his human form.

"I bet I could take you down in ten seconds." he says cockily.

I roll my eyes and put my hands on my slim waist.

"Well that depends. Are you challenging me?" I ask looking up into his bright, green eyes.

He grins devilishly, "yes I am challenging you."

My assistants all facepalm, clearly pitying the ignorant wolf, and I grin excitedly.

"Awesome, you can be my example to your peers." I lead him to the middle of the clearing and he gets into a tight fighting stance opposite me while his peers move away from us and form a ring.

"Go." Emily shouts, initiating the fight.

I stand still at first, then I shift into a fighting stance with my hands in front of my chest. The boy shifts into his wolf and runs speedily at me, the sunlight reflecting off his clean, brown fur. I remain in my fighting stance as he approaches my human figure. The medium sized, brown wolf suddenly leaps into the air and pins me to the ground. I quickly kick the wolf in the stomach, bruising his ribs. He howls loudly, his howl echoing across the clearing, and I kick his back legs out from under his body. As he begins to fall I roll out from under him and he lands on the hard ground with a thump. I pin him to the ground with my legs and I sit on his furry chest, my forearm laying across his neck to restrict his breathing. I flick my hair, unfazed as I sit on top of the large beast.

"I would like to use this example to explain to everyone a very common misconception. Everyone thinks shifting for a fight is the best thing to do, our wolves provide us strength, swiftness, and strong, sharp jaws. This is exactly why you should not shift for our trainings, at least for the first few sessions. We need to work on our human fighting stances and skills because you won't always be able to shift for a fight. Now that that is out of the way, anyone have any more challenges for me or can I teach my class now?" I call out to the crowd.

The crowed settled and no one said a word for a few minutes, a smile forming along my lips as I nod.

"Okay then," I stare down at the struggling wolf under me.

"Go get dressed. You have 3 minutes to be back here."

I get up and let him race inside the pack house, his tail hidden between his legs in shame. I dust my hands off and stare at the crowd.

"Okay everyone get your partner that's about your size, your running buddy, and go to your own little area. Make sure you can still hear and see me. Go."

Everyone dispersed and chatted with their partners about me and the boy. The boy came back from the pack house in new clothes and a disdainful look, and met up with his also dazed partner. I smile at them happily and clap my hands to get the large group's attention.

"Okay everyone, were going to start off with blocking and punches." I make an enclosed fist in the air.

"Close your fist like this. We do this so when you hit your opponent, it will have a harder impact and it won't break your hand on impact."

An hour or two later, my self defense instruction class finished; everyone in the group sore and hot from the day's work. I allowed them to head inside, covered in sweat and bruises from failed blocks and I chuckle.

"Good job guys go take a shower. Class starts the same time tomorrow."

 They all groan but head inside, a mass of sweat covered and hungry wolves.

Emily came up to me laughing, "that was entertaining" she says happily.

I nod and head inside the pack house smiling. Emily and I head to the kitchen and make the pack dinner with all the older women of the Blue Moon pack after we took showers and changed. Together we made several large bowls of pasta salad and spaghetti. I help the others set the large wood table, the dinning room full of the wonderful smells of noodles and dressing, and one of the cooks followed me out to set down a large container of meatballs. Soon enough hundreds of starving wolves race down to the table and the room fills with the sounds of laughter and chatter.

My pack and I sit together and laugh, Emily and I stealing food from each other and the other friends at the table. After a joyful dinner, everyone heads upstairs and to their homes tiredly, ready for rest. I head to my room to head to bed, wondering if someone had moved into my parents house. I wondered to myself what the pack had done with all of my things that I'd left in my bedroom at my parents' house; did they throw it all away with my parents' things? I open my window and smell the night air before I lay in my small, brown bed, my room full of heat from the warm night outside. I stare up at the white ceiling, suddenly craving a body next to mine.

I wondered where they'd set Payton up in the pack house; was he still angry with me for running away and making a fool out of him in front of the Blue Moon pack? I would understand if he hated me for my transgressions, but I couldn't help but hope he still loved me. I need his love and attention. I put on a facade for everyone else, but I couldn't hide my true feelings from Payton. I sigh to myself, closing my heavy eyes and swiftly fall into a deep sleep.