Chapter 19 part 1 Stars and Wolves

********2 years later*********

-Payton's POV-

I wake up early, my alarm on my phone ringing quietly and buzzing on the table next to my bed, and I hop out of bed quickly. Today is Katherine's birthday, July 20th. She's turning 18 and the pack is super excited. We're going to throw her a surprise party, and I had tried to keep it as secret as possible with such a large pack. Katherine and I started dating last winter, and I've been on top of the world since. I love her with all my heart, although sometimes she gets on my nerves. I admit I've accidentally harmed her before, but I always feel awful so she finds a way to forgive me. I make my way down stairs silently, avoiding the creaks in the wooden stairs, to cook her breakfast, when I find the down stairs air fogged up with smoke. Oh no. The twins are trying to cook again. Last time they tried to cook they almost burned the pack house to the ground. Instead, Katherine made it to the fire extinguisher fast enough to save us all and the house. I sprint into the kitchen and get a cup of water and pour it onto the flaming pancakes on the stove.

"Erin, Alec, what the hell?!" I shout quietly so I don't wake the sleeping beauty upstairs.

The twins were laying on the couch in the next room playing video games, and I guess they'd forgotten all about the food on the stove top.

"You can't just leave the pancake on the skillet to burn!"

They blush and look at me sheepishly, "oops" said Alec from his seat on the couch in the other room.

 He hopped up and helped me throw away the black pancake from the pan and I get out the correct ingredients. I ended up cooking a lot more pancakes than needed but, what can I say, I love cooking sometimes. A few hours later Katherine flowed down the stairs like an angel after being summoned by god. Her beautiful hair falling into her face as she looked down at the stairs under her feet.  She smiled at me as she entered the kitchen and gave me a soft, chaste kiss before sniffing the air and looking over at the twins. We laughed at their confused looks as we ate breakfast and after cleaning up, headed up to our room to change.

"That was nice of you, Payton." She says softly from the closet where she was changing clothes, her voice music to my ears.

"Well I couldn't let everyone eat the Twin's pancakes. I think we all would've died." I laugh, sitting on the bed waiting for her.

After changing we head outside and go for a run in our human forms through the woods behind the pack house. I run along side her, and talk to her while huffing for breath to keep up with her; I listen attentively to her beautiful laugh as we turn a sharp corner. Ever since she joined us two years ago, she has been working out every day with Emily and Natalie. Emily has been teaching both the girls fighting skills to help their self-protection. Katherine has been excelling at an amazing rate and is now one of our best fighters. Which is saying a lot. She has made a lot of friends too, everyone in the pack loves her and the aura she brings along with her.

After we got back to the pack house, sweaty and laughing, Chase came to me, looking urgent.

"Chase what is it?" I ask, snapping into alpha mode and wiping the sweat from my forehead.

"Alpha we have gotten a distress call from a pack. They have been having rouge attacks and need our assistance." He says quickly.

"Okay tell them we will be out in a few days." I reply and start to walk to my room for a shower.

A small voice of authority rang out, "what pack is it, Chase" asks Katherine.

"Blue moon, ma'am."

She gasps and backs away to the door. Before I can call out her name, she shifts and runs full speed out to the woods. I curse under my breath and chase after her out the open door. I try to track her down but I can't find her anywhere, her scent absent from the air.

 My wolf, who'd been oddly silent, suddenly speaks up, maybe we should leave her alone for now. She needs some time on her own. This pack hurt her; give her a bit to come back home to us. I sigh and run back to the house to shower and pack.

*****Katherine******

I ran for a couple hours, feeling the familiar burning in my legs and the air filling my lungs. After the sun set and the night sky allowed my night vision to take over, I decided to head back to the pack house. As I trotted back quietly, I thought more about my old pack. On the way out, into the woods, I'd thought about all the bad memories; now as I make my way back, I ponder what will happen. I should go. I really should go. They need me, I think to myself silently. Michael ought to be alpha by now, and that means that I would have to see him, talk to him, and listen to him. I wonder if I will ever be able to face him and all that he'd done to me. I look up at the stars that are starting to appear like beautiful, sparkling, twinkling, city lights as I pause at the edge of the woods. I sigh in my mind. They're so beautiful up there in the sky; the only constant in this crazy, busy world. Something beautiful for lost travelers to look up and guide them home.

I get to the pack house soon, entering through the back door and using my paws to nudge it open, and head upstairs before silently entering the bedroom through the cracked door. Payton is passed out on the bed, sprawled with his  body covering most of the surface. I chuckle a little before I take a thoughtful shower and lay in bed, throwing his arm onto his chest to fit my small body next to his.
I soon fall asleep. Dreaming of stars and wolves.

**************

Omg thank you guys so much for the votes I love y'all!! My readers are very important to me and I wanna know how much you guys like my story!❤