Somebody

He looked down at his watch. The number pointed to was 4. He sighed inwardly, accepting the unending toil the day prepared for him. On a day that spoke of power, he could feel his spine awakening to the cold in the air. The children, he thought, today will prawl the city everywhere. And he wanted to seek some of them out, not for the unholy sake to torture, just to observe.

He watched the street sign turn green, signalling him to walk and so he did. He loved the rain unlike many who'll rather have their sunshine and moonshine. It was in the rain that the usual bustling crowd suddenly becomes quite, a sudden relaxation on their step. The rain has power to impact-he believed. And he watched as humans and shadows alike walked the same street-the humans walking slow and the shadows slower.

The shadows, he deduced had their energy drained out of them and their delicacy as a being in the world of brute force has always put them into vulnerability. They were simple creatures, begotten from darkness and disintegrated to death. Their hate for light is eternal. No rather its their fear of light that is eternal. It always was odd to him. For their was  no denying how much more darker and prevalent they become when casted under the brightest of light.

"Shadow is only darkness. You notice it well under the boldest of light. Just like the stars at night...you notice it well in the darkness."

"Hmmm"

He had no real friends exactly. The clueless people who walked by his presence were the same as the dark grey species crawling on the street. He failed to avoid stepping on one of them but so did everyone else.

The shadow creature mopping on the road under his shoe shrilled - it's voice in airless agony. He always found it hard to fathom the semi opaque creatures but always understood at the end. For him it was a bonus-the fact that they speak. He was a character with zeal for tales.

"Were you always part of the street?" He beamed at one crouched to the alley, between the putrid hung smell of acid. It snapped its loppy body up, erecting its stature against the lad sitting between his knees. The shadow figures he learnt were amusingly tall in all proportions, in all portions.

It swivelled its head from left to right to motion a 'no'.

"Ow" the realization was unnerving. "Do you perhaps have a past?" He asked with the same level of polite enthuasism.

"My mother never raised me." It's airless voice choked.

"Shame" he didn't hesitate to remark.

"I lived with my brothers..."

"How many?"

The creatures large goggle eyes were still as if shocked. "I don't know..."

"Shame" his immediate comment again.

"Perhaps..." He looked up at the creature protruding infront of him. "...You can show me to them..."

The sentence wasn't quite finished. The creature twisted backward, slumped down and receded into the darkness again. The creatures weren't fond of that either.

He hunted more stories like that. They were not always in sight especially if it was under the blazing Sun for then they can hide themselves well but on cold winter days and a rainy ones like today, and in street lamp less nights, the creatures come out of their hideouts again. Most of them are not accustomed to being recognized by humans and if they understand so, they understand the terror of humans. Very few, he reteirated, would ever dare talk. Those who do are already dying.

"Are you dying?" He asked one sleeping under the platform benches in the train station. That creature was really long lying down. The omnious thing stretched its body across three benches and no one saw. No one was meant to see. Shadows are only epitome of a light less place under the light.

That creatures eyes were marked by death. In humans, they are often lifeless, tired looking and discoloured. For creatures of such, it was the sadness that weighs down on their pupil. Sadness like in its true colour and pure existence. The first encounter in his life made him shut his eyes-just for that second. The next moment he was staring into those very eyes, immensely amazed. When he noticed the shadow creature under his bench, he knew what fate awaited that one.

Yet his lonely mind yearned for the use of voice.
"Are you dying?"

That creature's sad bound pupils veered in his direction then looked away, saying nothing.

"Will you disintegrate away like the rest?"

No answer.

"What happens after you die?"

That creature was drained out of energy. No words, no pleas. So he let it be, allowing the creature to slip silently into death. He had his manners.

But one other time he asked again to a smaller younger looking one living in the shadows of a telephone booth. He picked up the receiver and waited for the hideous creature to notice him. Humans don't stimulate these creatures, the ones that do are the roots of their terror.

He leaned against the booth pocketing a hand in his coat pocket.

"I have several questions shadow creature and you will answer them."

The creature didn't respond. He stepped on it next. It coiled in pain and was startled into a kneeling posture. "Good" he complimented and began.

"Where do you go after death?"

The creature was soundless for a while, staring with its peering big eyes before answering.

"No where."

"Really?!" He was ecstatic, a smile spontaneously conjured on his face. "Okay then.." he turned and tipped his forehead on the wall of the booth with his right arm on it.

"Like nullification? There's nothing else?" He asked.

"Yes." It's airless voice submitted.

"Wow" he replied very impressed. "I had this theory but I never was sure..." He talked into the phone, his words meant for the pool of black sitting by his feet. "But today I learn...wow!" He couldn't hold back his delight, being extremely proud with himself.

"Also I want to ask..." He continued with his interest unflagging. "...what makes you die?"

"If we.." It coughed out in raspy whispers. He held his breath, eyes waiting.
"...don't receive...chhh..."

"...chhh..cold for a...Long..time." It breathed free again.

His eyes became wider. "I knew it!" He exclaimed laughing, putting his right arm on his head. "I knew it!"

From the distance, a telephone booth was vigilated to have a  very jubilant user by uncaring observers.

"I am so good at this..." He was pleased with himself. Then another question struck him. He turned again, leaning on his back with the same former posture.

"Can you be killed?"

The shadow creature waited before nodding its head. He was internally elated, his curiosity rising.

"By other shadow creatures?" He asked.

It nodded its head again. He stood straight now. "By human?" The creature shook its head. He turned to face the creature and bend down to the height of the creatures head. "By me?"

The creature nodded in sad admission. The truth was empowering. He can kill a shadow creature.

The rain was placid and poured in measured amounts. Others crossed the street with him, each engrossed either to the other side of the road or their phone. He looked out for the shadow figures instead, trying his formal best to avoid stepping on the weak pitiful creature. The one under his shoe dragged away in raw horror. So he decided to be careful because unlike others, he can hurt them. Unlike others, he was classed as somebody to these creatures. Unlike others who hunted the shadows, he hunted their tales.