Experiment

That night was cold by the trace of a forgotten storm lingering strong in the atmosphere. The tough brutality of the days storm was tamed for lighter breeze and voiceless rain.

He was by his living room, wandering the enthralling moments that will reward him the birth of a new creature. The excitement was hard to hold. So was the frustration.

His entire was house was lit up in lights of all power. Then he stood infront of a lamp and watched his morbid shadow look still. The intensity of the lamp was varied multiple times and still there was no hope of a shadow child being born.

He recited the creature's words. "The darkest in the moment." He didn't understand. At that exact moment, under the boldness of his lamp, his own shadow was the darkest. Just to be sure, he performed the procedure multiple times only to pressure under the heat of the lamp after each failures.

He was clearly missing something. The cold.

The lamp was no good. Perhaps the heat, the abomination of the cold couldn't raise a life from his own shadow. There needs to be a reason for specification.

He held back his annoyance for a while. The shadow creature spoke of the darkest shadow in a single moment.

In a single moment...

The darkest shadow that can exist in a moment...

That darkest shadow...

It hit him soon, his pupils dilating to the realization.

"That darkest shadow can be anywhere in a moment!" He cried out loud, ecstatic toward his revelation. Then the demise captured him. Anywhere in the moment poses for some difficult manufacturing criterion. How was he to know wether the black shadow he casted on the ground right now is the darkest shadow in the entire world?There was no way of determining that.

And so, he sat down on his couch, his shaggy brown hair pulled back by the ironic sweat in the lingering cold as he gazed up into his soulless ceiling. There was little or no prospect of him raising a shadow child. But he could watch one be raised. All his life he hasn't clearly understood the creatures he alone could see. In his case, he never made it a show to point out his differences. He always kept it quiet. The first time he saw was when he was thirteen. The first time he saw a full fledged thirteen feet long shadow creature stand up into the city. He's reaction was terror. For that one second only. The seconds after, he was delighted and star struck with amazement.

But that was ten years ago. During his time, he learnt these creatures, engaging in every method to unravel their secrets. The greatest of the secret was of course, why he sees it alone. It was cleared to him today. The woman he met in the echoless drenching rain sighted them too and seemed more experienced. If he remembers clearly, he met none other. Even if such human beings existed, they all adopted his strategy- to never let others know. She was odd.

" I am his mother"

Just a play all of that. She hunts them to play with them.

He looked down ahead of him where his seated shadow was still black and inviting. Except no life was conjured from that. He must ask more questions.

The darkest in the moment. Nothing can compete with the darkness of the eternal space. With that in mind he snored. His clothes half dried from all the rain drops and his house bathed in the lights of the lamps.

A white shocked lightning strike. Then even the lamp lights were gone.