seventeen

THERE'S a test.

he hears the teacher say it. he sees it in his classmates' expressions. he registers it.

but he doesn't care.

is it a surprise test? was it announced before? taehyung wouldn't know, he's been completely out of the loop for the past couple daysㅡbut then he hears yoongi swear from the seat behind him and he knows nobody had seen it coming.

but he still doesn't care.

maybe later, when his emotions catch up to him, he'll be grateful for the fact that he won't be the only one at a loss when faced with the paper. but then he realizes that when his emotions do catch up to him, he'll probably be too overcome with self-pity to acknowledge the occurrence of this one insignificant testㅡhowever much weightage it could have over his grade.

taehyung doesn't care about his grade. he really should, but he can't bring himself to right now.

"you are allowed to use calculators," the teacher is sayingㅡtaehyung manages to notice through his indifference that it's not their usual mathematics teacher. a substitute. is that why his fellow students aren't looking in the least ruffled anymore? or maybe it's the calculator part.

"oh, sir!" wheein suddenly bursts out, hand shooting into the air. "i don't have a calculator on me, can i share one with someone else?" she bats her lashesㅡclearly fishing for an excuse to interact with other students during the test.

too clearly. the sub shakes his head, cocking an eyebrow up. "i'm sure you kids are never without your phones. i hear calculators are now built into them? how about that, hm?"

wheein's hand drops down in defeat, and taehyung reads the 'asshat' she mouthes easily enoughㅡbut as his gaze lingers on her for a few more seconds, he notices how her expression morphs into sudden delight.

he turns away with a knowing sighㅡthis dumbass teacher had just given the entire class permission to text during the test.

the sub's picking up a stack of sheets now. "it's multiple choice, so i'm sure you'll all do fineㅡno need to look so traumatized." taehyung fails to see the trauma in anyone's expression. "this is an important test, so i hope you've paid attention in class and that your concepts are clear!"

there's an uneasy tittering throughout the class. it's a surprise test, but it's multiple choice. it's important, but phones are allowed. should they be grateful or scared?

taehyung feels neither.

"after i give you the paper, you have five minutes to go over it before i tell you to start." taehyung watches everyone's expression carefully as they're handed a question paperㅡsome's eyes widening oh-so-slightly only to grin at a friend, some smirking and getting their stationery out, some pouring over the paper to come up with pleasantly surprised expressions.

the paper's easy.

this is something taehyung would usually take a moment to rejoice over. an important test that's easy. and he does pay attention in class. his concepts are clear. he could really ace this.

so all he needs is to stop thinking about that stupid unknown number and the person behind it.

had he been too harsh? at the time, he hadn't regretted the angry words he'd sent one bit, feeling that anon had well-deserved themㅡbut looking back on it, taehyung could feel the overdue guilt crashing in. he'd always known that he said things more exaggerated and hurtful than necessary when caught in a swirl of emotions, so why hadn't he been more careful?