Chapter 5

Adeline's P.O.V.

I was insanely nervous as I went in and handed him the notes. I looked through everything again and it looked to be done well. As I entered the office and handed him the file he roughly picked it up and flipped through it aggressively. 

With no thank you or any kind manners for the matter he just told me to go to lunch. I left the office and headed to grab my bag and go grab a bite. As I exited the building I was met with Carlos and Damon in the elevator.

"Hello'' I say politely.

"Hey how is your first day going?" They ask.

"Okay I guess." I say.

"Let me guess he was super rude, didn't thank you for anything and piled you up with work." Says Damon.

"Well two out of the three. The work amount wasn't bad." I tell them.

They looked surprised, the elevator rang indicating it was the main lobby. I gently nodded at them and sent them a smile. I smiled at the receptionist who let me in this morning, her name is Nya I think, she is very sweet. Hopefully I'll get to know her better.

There is a chipotle down the street and I decide to just grab a bowl and eat in my office so I can familiarize myself with my surroundings. 

I go inside and quickly order myself a chicken and steak bowl with whole wheat rice. Mm mm.... I smile at the cashier and pass her a 20 and tell her to keep the change.

I head back to the office and make my way towards the cafeteria. Working for a top company had it's perks. The cafe was white and glass. It was extremely modern and full of a variety of food options. The employees all sat with their coworkers in huddles scattered across the room.

I decide to grab myself a smoothie and head to the counter. Seeing how they only had bottled ones I decided that I should just get one of those. Just my luck there is only one mango-berry smoothie left. I head to the cashier,

"Can I get the mango-berry smoothie please?"  

"Can I get the mango-berry smoothie please?" I ask, but turn around as somebody says the same thing at the same time as me.

I look to see a tall man with raven hair and blue eyes. He smiles at me and I laugh.

"Wanna share?" He says. I nod.

I order the smoothie and the lady at the register grabs it for me. But before I can pay for it the man gives her a $5 bill.

I look back confused, he just smirks.

"Come on." He says.

I follow him to his seat and end up sitting across from him. He grabs a cup and pours me out half the smoothie.

"Thank you" I say

"You are very welcome beautiful." He says, I blush at the comment.

"So I am guessing you're new here because I would have certainly remembered a girl like you." He says.

"Yeah I just started today as Mr Darren's assistant." I tell him.

"Oh you're the poor girl who was hired to work for the machine." He says.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, "I wouldn't say that about him." I tell him.

"Well I guess time will tell. Anyway I'm Jax. I work with the web design team." He says

"Nice to meet you, I'm Adeline." I say.

"Well Adeline you are now looking at your first official work friend." He says.

I smile and pull out my bowl and start to eat. I look up and catch him staring, he averts his gaze and starts to get red. Weird.

After we both finish eating with polite conversation I head back upstairs, "well it was nice to meet you Jax but I need to get back to work." I say.

"Till next time" He says. I smile.

I get on the elevator and head to the top floor so I can get to Mr Darren's office. I knock on the door.

''Come in'' His strong voice says.

I walk in and see the two men from the elevator.

''Have a seat Ms.Jules'' Carlos tells me.

I nod gratefully and sit down. I look to the side and see Mr Darren yelling at someone on the phone, his eyes cold and distant as his jaw clenches.

He catches my gaze and I look away. I look back towards Carlos and Damon who are getting up. They give a bro-hug to Mr Darren who seems to care less about it.

He eventually hangs up and sits down on his seat in front of me.

He throws a package of notes toward me which I assume is the contract.

"Read" He commands.

I pick up the contract and carefully read through a total of 15 sections. I look through the employee privacy section and fill out the form for the human resources department.

"I'm done sir" I tell him.

He looks up and signs the last page. "Sign here" He says.

I do so and he takes the contract and leaves the room. He returns a few moments later and hands me a copy of the contract.

"I have got someone to place all the resources you need in your office. There is a pile of business contracts and meeting notes on your desk that I need filed in the bottom cupboard." He says as he nods towards the cupboard.

"Okay sir I'll get right on that." I say and leave the office.

I quickly get to my office and start to sort the files by date. I quickly organize them and head back and place them in his office.

I do the work and he barely looks up. It doesn't take me long to file them and as soon as I finish, he faces me.

"You have the rest of the day off. I want you back here at 7 in the morning with my coffee which I want black." He says with no sign of emotion on his face.

" Yes sir. Thank you again and have a nice night." I tell him.

He completely ignores my comment and goes back to his laptop. I exit the building while wishing Nya a nice night.

Today had been one heck of a day. I see why all his assistants want to quit. What a day.