The Book of Face

Chapter 32—The Book of Face

Claire

She walked over and stood tentatively, not quite sure what to do with herself. Myrnin opened his eyes and motioned for her to sit on the couch next to him. She hesitated. He reassured her with a charming smile, "It's okay. I'll behave."

Claire began to hyperventilate; his choice of words unleashing a flood of memories - sharp and potent - cutting her into little tiny pieces.

Myrnin stood quickly; hands extended out but he didn't touch her. His expression was filled with surprise and alarm, trying to figure out what he had said wrong.

Claire hunched forward, gripping one hand on her knee to support her upper body. She raised a finger on her other hand, in the air, to silently communicate she just needed him to give her a minute while her lungs consumed every bit of oxygen in her body, making it impossible for her to verbalize the words.

Her ritualistic self-calming techniques kicked in as she fought to breathe. Claire wished now that Rhysian had stayed - she always recovered faster with his help. Squeezing her eyes shut, she pictured his ice blue stare; heard his mantra 'breathe with me' in her mind, and forced her chest to shove the panic back down into submission.

Myrnin put his hands down and waited; his eyes wary.

"I'm sorry," Claire panted. "I didn't mean to scare you."

Worry etched his tone, "Are you okay?"

She nodded, not wasting her limited breath on further communication.

"You don't have to sit on the couch," he spoke quickly, his eyes searching the room for more suitable seating for her.

"No. It's fine." She puffed as her breathing regulated back to normal. Claire closed the distance to the couch and sat.

Myrnin didn't move.

It was her turn to motion an invitation for him to join her. He took a tentative step and then eased himself down next to her silently. Claire turned her body to face him, pulling her knees up under her chin. She studied his concerned eyes; knowing he didn't know what to expect.

Myrnin began, "I'm...sorry..."

Claire's forehead puckered slightly as she tried to figure out what he was talking about. "For what?" she asked.

"Forgetting..."

A tear slid down Claire's cheek. She blinked furiously to keep herself from losing control completely. "But you didn't forget....you're here." She sighed quietly, "Why did you come? You know nothing about me," her voice broke. "Why would you risk it?"

The lines in his face softened as he murmured gently, "You know why..."

"No." She shook her head.

"I may not know every detail, but I know that you love me." He leaned toward her.

The intensity in his voice made her quiver. He nodded as if to acknowledge her body's unspoken affirmation.

"And I know me. I don't exactly love...easily. Yet, somehow...I manage to fall so deeply in love with you - a human - that I will give up everything. Risk everything. To be with you. It has made me desperate to know the kind of woman that yields such power over me. Even now, I am drawn to you so severely that it pains me." His face contorted under the depth of emotion.

Claire felt her pulse quicken. He glanced down at her chest, listening, counting the beats of her heart. "I've heard that sound in my head for centuries...." He murmured.