Adrianna

Chapter 54 –Claire's POV– Adrianna

Claire knew it the minute the vortex closed around her – she could control it!

It felt as natural as breathing. Her mind flashed back to the hours, days and months, she had practiced manipulating the time portal in her search for Myrnin. She had let her body soak up the excruciating pain; reveling in the anesthetic it provided her mind, numbing an even more powerful ache in her heart.

She had been too afraid to cross through it then, but clearly her connection was much stronger than she realized. She had been able to find and watch Myrnin; something even he couldn't do. It wasn't for lack of experience; Myrnin had traveled through a time portal daily for five years. So how could she see him, but he never saw her? Wait! Anwyn was able to see her, Claire recalled with a small jolt; trying to formulate the connection in her mind. What did she and Anwyn have in common? It turned her stomach to think they shared any common traits, but she couldn't deny the cozy little bubble of time and space, she found herself suspended in now.

Neither Myrnin's had ever described the portal as a pocket; it was always a doorway. But Claire was certain Anwyn experienced it the same way she was. How? She had no blood relation to Anwyn, and they were certainly not at all similar in personality. Other than being female, Claire could find no connection. Was that it?! Were her abilities so advanced because of her gender?

But if that were true, Anwyn should have known when she decided to force Claire into the time portal. Unless, Claire realized with a start – Anwyn was arrogant in her own abilities; she likely never suspected anyone else could manipulate it with finesse and accuracy – least of all, Claire. And Anwyn did not know the extent of time Claire had spent immersed in the time portal's energies.

Claire flexed the vortex around her, breathing deeply. The complex and powerful forces of energy enveloped her, licking her skin, causing tingling sensations down her arms and the back of her neck.

Now she just had to decide where and when she should go. Claire knew the answer immediately and focused intently, picturing the location and the moment where she wanted to land. She felt the ground become solid under her feet. The kinetic haze swirling in the air around her began to clear. Then it was gone and she was left standing in front of two sets of huge staring eyes, their mouths formed in silent exclamation.

Claire ignored her mirror double for the moment and hurtled across the lab into Rhysian's arms, almost knocking him over in shock.

"Bebe'?!" he held her tightly in his arms and whispered calming noises. Tears streamed down her face. Her breathing was ragged, making it impossible for her to speak for several minutes.

Finally her alter-ego spoke, her voice strained, "Do you know where they are?"

Claire turned to face her. It was quite unsettling to see her own eyes staring back at her, wide and fearful. She knew what answer the other Claire wanted to hear – that both Myrnin's were somehow safe and sound. But she couldn't say that, Claire thought, her heart constricting, remembering the horrible state she had left them in. "They need us," she barely whispered.

Her alter-ego's face hardened into resolution, "Tell me what happened."

Claire began haltingly, "Tomorrow...she...she will come for you," she turned her head to face Rhysian as another tear slipped down her cheek, "and you."

"Anwyn," Rhysian accurately guessed, his chest vibrating with a low growl.

Claire nodded, "She will take you to the mountain cabin, where we and Myrnin—"she looked at the other version of herself, still trying to wrap her mind around the split in consciousness she had just created.