Get Me Out of Here

Chapter 39 –Claire's POV– Get Me Out of Here

Claire stirred slowly and groaned at the throbbing in her temples. She pried one of her eyes open and realized she was in bed at the lab. What the hell happened? Her brain struggled to remember the events prior to her passing out.

Thinking was making her head hurt worse, so she stopped and just listened to the breaths coming from her rising and falling chest.

Oh! The memories came flooding back to her, causing her cheeks to flame. But how had she gotten back to the lab? And where was Myrnin?

Claire panicked slightly and struggled to get up, wrestling against the tightly wrapped blanket around her. She looked down in frustration. Claire couldn't see herself yet, but she felt she was still wearing the stranger's stolen button down shirt – and nothing else. Did that explain Myrnin's choice to wrap her in a blanket like a burrito? She hoped that was what he had envisioned, and not just his normal transport of a body bag. Claire shook off the macabre thought.

Finally free of the offending blanket, Claire found Myrnin was not in the lab. He had left her a note, letting her know he had business with Amelie today and he would be back later. Claire breathed a sigh of relief. They had come oh, so very close last night to consummating, whatever this was, that they had. She needed to think, before she faced him again.

After a healthy dose of aspirin and a hot shower, Claire settled on the couch. The dagger twirled absent-mindedly between her fingers. She had come up with a plan – well, more of an idea, maybe. She recognized she was holding back from Myrnin and obviously he was aware of it as well.

A part of her knew it wasn't a good idea, but she couldn't put the thought out of her mind – she wanted to look through the time portal at Myrnin – her Myrnin. Maybe if she found he was happy and at peace, she could let go. She knew she would always be a part of his past, even if she couldn't belong to his future – somehow, that was going to have to be enough for her. She felt a twinge in her chest at the thought.

Standing to her feet, she padded over to the portal wall. It had been four months since she had last stood there. She struggled to breathed when she realized the last time she did this, she intended to kill herself. Claire buried those memories and stared numbly at the wall. Before she could change her mind, she thrust the swirling dimension open. Her breath caught in her throat as the images clarified.

Once it settled and came to a stop, Claire was stunned. She stood shaking as she watched the scene unfold before her. Myrnin was seated in a chair with a vibrant redhead perched in his lap – Anwyn!

As she watched, Anwyn leaned in, kissing him slowly and passionately. From the angle, Claire couldn't see Myrnin's face, but she saw his arms tightened around her slender frame, holding her closely to him.

Suddenly, Anwyn's head came up as though someone had called her name. She turned slightly and looked directly at Claire. Claire froze; desperately hoping the door to the room faced in her direction, explaining why Anwyn would look her way. Anwyn's steely gaze settled directly into Claire's eyes and Claire knew beyond a shadow of a doubt – Anwyn could see her!

Anwyn winked to Claire and licked her lips, slowly bringing her mouth back down to Myrnin's, watching Claire's reaction as she did so.

The portal snapped shut.

Claire felt like a ripcord had been pulled in her chest. How was this possible? Had he forgotten that much – that he couldn't remember Anwyn's betrayal? How she had kidnapped Claire for sport, to lure him into a death trap. Did he love Anwyn now?

Claire wrapped her arms around herself; her insides were colder than she had ever felt them. Small shudders of shock and agony rippled through her frame. She could feel it; feel herself spiraling down. For the second time today, she was thankful that Myrnin wasn't there – she just couldn't face him right now. But she needed to talk to someone. She knew Rhysian would be there for her in an instant but he was too close to Myrnin. Eve.

Claire grabbed her phone, her shaking fingers fumbling to navigate the technology. Eve picked up on the first ring, "Clairebear!"

Claire couldn't force any words out of her throat; finally only able to utter a small cry.

"What is it?! What's wrong? Did he hurt you?!" Eve's voice rose in conjunction to her panic level.

"Please come," Claire whispered.

"I'm on my way." The connection clicked off.

As the shock consumed her, Claire stared at the phone in her trembling hands; she couldn't remember why she was holding it or even what she was doing in that moment. She gave up trying to keep her hands still and watched the phone slip between her fingers and fall to the floor.She stepped over it and headed back to the couch. There was something she had to do, but couldn't for the life of her, remember what.

A sudden banging on the door made her jump. Eve's voice called out, "Claire, you let me in right this instant!"

Eve's voice brought Claire back to reality. She opened the door and said with broken eyes, "Get me out of here."

"Done." Eve took her hand, practically yanking her out the door.