Chapter 10: Loner

When I went home that night, I opened the front door of my apartment and ran into Todd. "Hey!" I greeted him.

"Hey, Sabs," he smiled and gave me a hug. Todd looked like a less handsome version of Chris Evans with a prep-school haircut. He is a genuine and kind person, and I couldn't be happier for Rebecca or more excited about them being married. I was just wary of being alone.

"Is it moving day already?" I asked, sounding sadder than I wanted.

"It is!" Rebecca sang as she walked out from the bedroom holding a swollen garment bag. She handed it to Todd who left to pack it in his car. "I'm glad you're here. Don't forget, my dress fitting is next Thursday after work, and then it's three weeks before the housewarming slash engagement party." I looked at her as she blabbed. My eyes burning with tears while she busied herself with folding together the tops of more meticulously labeled boxes. "So you should check your schedule soon to make sure you'll be off on time, and—"

"Becca," I tried to interrupt her.

"—It's probably best to send out the invitations this weekend so we can get a headcount for the party."

"Becca."

"The house can fit forty people, but if we want to do speeches—"

"Becca!" She turned and looked at me with confusion. "Are you going to miss me at all?"

She tilted her head and smiled. "I'm not leaving, Sabs. Just going up the street." She came over and wrapped me in a hug. "We have a spare bedroom dedicated specifically to you, whenever you want it."

That made me happy, but I cried anyway.

After a long weekend of moving, the apartment was an empty shell of what it was before

After a long weekend of moving, the apartment was an empty shell of what it was before. Missing furniture, empty kitchens and closets . . . The quiet, disorganized emptiness that came with her absence reminded me too much of when my mother died. I was thankful to be able to go to work and be around people there at least.

I walked into Ziggy's room to find him checking himself out in his full-length mirror. It took me a moment to notice that his head was clean-shaven. He ran his hands against the crown of his head. He had a great head shape, and the strong jawline and facial features to pull it off. He looked as good as I expected.

"I was right. You look pretty hot bald, Zig."

"No I don't. I look like a fucking cancer patient," he said, turning to me with a smirk. I was happy to see his spirits were still high.

"Are you ready to go again?"

He sighed. "You know, I used to be really fond of that phrase before chemo."

I shook my head at him while I fought my smile. "You never stop do you?"

"I miss them saying that, too."

I hated myself for laughing. "Oh my God, are you ready or not?"

"I guess," he said with a dramatic huff. "But I'm bringing toys this time."