Chapter 3

Mrs. Brooch, our middle aged Chemistry teacher, was always the ignorant type with a don't-care attitude when it came to gossips. So, when someone decided to draw two very seriously ill-looking crooked figure on the board, who were seemingly holding hands and kissing, she just ignored it and continued with her teaching. She didn't even bother to wipe off that horrible drawing. "Popular and the Wanna be" that's what was written on the board. No guesses required for knowing who those two were. I had been the only topic of discussion ever since the kiss happened and that's the gossip that's been circulated all throughout School.

It's not like they were the only people thinking about it, I had been thinking about it too. Why would a rich, popular and famous boy, who was far from knowing even my identity, would kiss me and then tell me to be his girlfriend?

"So, Miss Bella Jones, care to share your thoughts with the entire class?" I heard Mrs. Brooch ask, snapping the duster on the desk. I didn't even notice when she had walked up to my desk and now was standing so near me, scrutinizing me like her chemistry papers.

"Umm.. I... sorry ..." I tried to mutter out my apology when I heard someone's voice at the back,

"That kiss.. Jones is thinking about that kiss..." Someone shouted from behind.

Before I could turn around and respond to that, Jessica spoke up, "Caleb Ryder kissed her accidentally, and she thinks he's serious about it, what a loser!" The whole class burst out laughing looking at me. Nina turned to me with a sympathetic smile and whispered not to let it get to me.

"That's enough!" shouted Mrs. Brooch on top of all the insulting laughs, "I don't want to hear who kissed whom or why, just concentrate on your studies!" She walked away while dictating the remaining chemical formulas from the book.

I turned around and glared at Jessica, who shrugged and looked away.

Until this Friday night, nobody even knew my name, let alone look at me, and now I was the center of their gossips. All were acting strange after knowing about my kiss with Caleb. Caleb publicly declared me to be his girlfriend which had most probably vexed everyone. But like me, no one believed that a guy with reputation like his could actually kiss me and then call me his girlfriend.

I don't know how many periods passed by while people came to confront me about the incidents; even the way gossips turned around in our school was quite surprising. I heard some people say that Caleb accidentally fell over me and our lips just touched, it wasn't a kiss. Some said Tim was harassing me, so Caleb being my savior in shining armor, rescued me from them, and in return as a thank you gift, I kissed him. The most hilarious one I heard would be where I was secretly a member of Tim's gang and when the time was right, I threatened Caleb on knife point and told him to kiss me or I would kill him. Like you do or you die!
I didn't even know if I should just laugh it off or really panic thinking about the future of all my school-mates.

It was finally time for lunch break where Nina and I could get some time off from all those unwanted attentions. So, we headed for the cafeteria. As I walked through the corridor, I could feel people staring at me and the girls burning invisible holes in my body through their angry stares. The girls were jealous, it was quite obvious. But the boys.. I am not quite sure I want to know the reason.