Chapter 30: Pummeled

Harrison's second experience of being placed under arrest on the same day is, for the most part, identical to the first. The world seems so big from inside the small backseat of the police car. Harrison stares out into the night in sheer fright. His five year old little girl is out there somewhere all alone doing God knows what. He watches through the window as the two officers talk amongst themselves. He can't hear what they are saying but he knows it is about him.

Harrison yells, "Hey!" He tries to get their attention.

Both Stan Neilen and Edward Sturn look to the car but they soon turn their backs and ignore him. They continue their conversation, unconcerned about whatever it is Harrison has to say. Harrison begins to insanely beat his head against the window like he's possessed.

He screams psychotically while he tries to bust the tempered glass with the side of his head, "Ahhh-ahhh-ahhh-ahhh!"

Stan and Edward rush to the car and quickly open the door. Stan jerks Harrison out and pushes him back first into the car. "Calm down! What the hell's the matter with you?"

Harrison is uncontrollable and he thrashes around trying to get free from the steel cuffs, "You're making a mistake...let me go!"

"You aren't going anywhere except for prison. Now sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up! If you hit that window again I'll hog tie your ass and put you in the trunk!"

Harrison believes this officer would do as he has promised, he immediately changes his demeanor. He begs, "Officer please...my little girl is missing. I'm just trying to find her...please. She needs me...I didn't kill those people on the bus and I didn't hurt Detective Page. You've got to believe me."

Just the reference to Detective Page's name enrages Stan Neilen to the point he doesn't even acknowledge the mention of a missing little girl. He punches Harrison solid in the gut, "I said shut the fuck up!"

Harrison crumbles to the wet ground in the fetal position and moans in pain. "Please."

Stan can't resist the urge to assault this murdering bastard, "I..." 'Stomp' "...Said..." 'Stomp' "...Shut..." 'Stomp' "...Up!" 'Stomp' He stomps him with each word kicking Harrison in the head, the arms, and chest.

Harrison rolls to avoid the vicious booting and gets kicked harder for his efforts. He yelps in agony as another swift kick lands in his face and splits his lip wide open.

Stan relentlessly attacks screaming obscenities, "You piece a shit, sick, sadistic son of a bitch...you better pray Page makes it!"

Edward Sturn stands frozen as he watches the brutality. He can't believe what his partner is doing but can't bring himself to stop watching the violent assault either.

Harrison squirms to get away from the well-aimed kicks but his cuffed hands make it difficult to move quickly. Stan withdraws his baton, a telescoping steel rod. He smacks Harrison in the side of the leg. Harrison howls at the stinging sensation as the area throbs in pain.

Edward finally speaks up, "Neilen! That's enough!"

Stan whacks Harrison two more times in the same location before looking up, "What?"

Edward points to Harrison, "Look at him! He's had enough!"

Harrison moans and slowly tries to move his sore leg. He screams in excruciating pain. The slightest movement of his knee sends sharp pains darting up and down his leg.