24. Night Would Shine.

“So, I think when Stanley vanished, he went up top, informed the Traitor about the child’s whereabouts and that’s what the earthquake was. It was an attack on the compound to try and get her!”

We’re in the Medical Bay, in one of the Private rooms. Birdie and I have been checked over. My ribs and throat are badly bruised, but other than that, I’ve got the all clear and am now resting up with a hot bowl of tasteless broth. Well, I’m supposed to be resting. It’s kind of hard when Finlay’s yapping on about his attack theory and Birdie is hogging half of my bed.

“But how did he vanish?” I sip the broth. Eugh. 

“There are any number of teleportation spells,” Finlay says. “Stanley’s powerful enough to do all of them. He’d also know how to beat the protection spells on the Compound.”

“But why would Stanley turn on us?” Grace asks. She’s also in the room, slumped in a chair looking like she’s ready to pass out.

“Maybe you were right,” I say to her. “And the Traitor is using their bodies somehow, to create an army.” I sip some more broth. It’s rank but I’m feeling a bit better with something warm inside.

Finlay jumps up and begins to pace, worried creases developing across his forehead. “We need to find this bastard Traitor and end him,” he says. “My own men, my boys!” He stops, rubs a palm over his face. “If I didn’t want to kill him before, I do now.” He stares ahead, not really seeing anything. I look at his face. He’s ready to drop from exhaustion, and it must be sheer anger that’s keeping him strong. Something inside me dissolves as he closes his eyes and swallows hard.

Just then Birdie twitches awake and yawns, pulling my attention away from Finlay. She sniffs. “Maman?” She mumbles, looking around. Then I see her eyes cloud as she remembers her mummy is no more, and her lips tremble.

“Come on sweetheart,” Grace says, taking her little hand. “Let’s get you washed and fed. You must be starving.” She tenderly scoops Birdie off the bed, nestling her under her chin. Birdie yawns again and closes her eyes. Grace looks at me and Finlay. “You two. Rest. Now.”

She leaves quietly, pulling the door shut. Finlay stands at the foot of my bed, hands jammed in pockets.

“Are you okay?” He asks after a bit.

“I’m not sure,” I say. 

He nods and then sits on the bed, just inches from me. “I have to tell you, seeing Stanley...what he did...it was awful.” He shudders. 

“Really?”

I thought-” His voice catches and he coughs. “You were so pale, and limp. I thought you were dead.”

I surprise myself then, by reaching out and touching his face. His eyelids flicker and shut. He goes so still, like he’s using all his energy to hold himself together.

“You saved me,” I say. “You and Grace saved my life.”

“I wanted to kill him.” His eyes open, clear and determined. “I should have killed him. Should have ripped his miserable throat out. And I’m sorry.”

Well, this is unexpected. “What for?” 

“For saying all those things. Calling you a nobody.” He swallows, scratches his scalp. “I didn’t mean it. I suppose I thought if I said those things, I would believe them and then it’d be easier.”

“What would be easier?” I ask.

“Staying away from you.” 

Those were the last words I thought I’d be hearing from him. I just sit there, wordless, my hands growing clammy. “How-” my voice is raspy and I cough, start again. “Why do you make me feel like this?”