14. Skies Were Overcast

It doesn't take long for me to get a system going. Once the metal pot fills with water I heave it on to the stove and get it boiling, bubbling and hot. It's sweaty work, but at least I have something to take my mind off Asher and Ed. I shove the gloves on. Ugh! They’re all clammy and stinky! I hold my breath as I pick up dirty sheets with a huge pair of tongs and drop them in. Most of the sheets are stiff, encrusted in blood and other things I don't even want to think about. As the boil wash gets going, I gather the various tools that need sterilising. Some I recognise; tweezers, thermometers and syringes. But others, not so much. I treat them like I do Ribbon's bottles, and they are soon drying on the custom wall-rack. It's boring work and the chemicals I'm using stink but actually, it’s good to have something else to think about, instead of freaking out about my situation. The routine demands my full attention and before I know it a squealing whistle blows. It's noon, time for lunch and I gladly remove my starchy apron and those gloves. I haven't stressed about the boys all morning and it's a relief. But as I leave the Bay, I find myself keeping an eye out for them. Please, please be okay, I think.

I follow the Nightingales through the tunnels to the canteen where I am served bread, a kind of powdery vegetable soup and that weak tea again. Grace is nowhere to be seen and I find myself sitting with Annabel. Esme and Susan don't get their lunch until 12:30, she says, practically inhaling her soup.

"What about Grace?" It’d be nice to see a friendly person.

"She's a Senior. She eats when she likes," Annabel says, looking at the door.

"Okay. So, how's your day been?" I'm not sure what to make of Annabel, but a morning by yourself with boiling water and sterilising equipment for company will make you desperate for a chat.

"Busy." 

I'm getting frostbite from her cold shoulder. "Oh, I'm sorry. Am I bothering you?"

"No! I mean, yes! I mean-" Annabel's sallow skin flushes with colour. "It's just, I probably shouldn't talk to you." She folds her hands in her lap and looks ashamed. "You're a True, after all."

"Yeah, so I’ve heard. What of it?"

"So, your family and Susan's... you know."

"No. I don't know."

"Yours and Susan's families, the old feud?"

"Annabel." I let my spoon clatter into my soup. "I'm from the year twenty-twelve.” I hold up my hand to stop her from interrupting. "I don't know Susan's family. My father isn't even born yet, so her issues have nothing to do with me." 

"Please understand.” She blinks. "If Susan catches me speaking to you, there'll be no end to her upset."

"Fine," I say wearily. I’m totally drained and I don't know how I can cope with the afternoon, let alone the weeks and possible months that stretch ahead of me. "It's just, I don't deserve to be here. I miss home." 

"All of us miss home, Marla." Annabel's voice is gentle. "Believe me, I understand that much."

"Yeah." I turn back to my soup. Annabel says goodbye in the quietest way possible and then pretty much runs away. I try and finish my lunch, keep my head down, but what I want to do more than anything is run to my bedroom and have a good, full on cry. Except I don't have a bedroom, I have a bed in a cruddy dorm and there will be about ten night shift girls in there all catching up on their sleep. I make do with hunching over my food with my head down, hoping no one sees the tears that slide down my cheeks.

I let a few fall, then pull my sleeve over my hand and rub at my face. Suck it up! I can’t let anyone see how everything is getting to me. I hear loud giggles from the doorway and I see Susan enter, along with a few other girls. Crap. I look up at the clock above the door; it’s half twelve, time for me to get back to work. I get up to hand my tray in. Just as I do, in comes Asher! He's with some other guys who I guess must be Hawks. Like the rest of them, he's in khaki trousers and a smart polo shirt. I dump my tray at the serving hatch and practically sprint to the doorway.

"BAM!" I yell. He sees me and his face lights up in relief.

"There's my Sis!" He picks me up in a massive bear hug.

"Your sister?" One of the Hawks look back and forth between us, clearly confused at the obvious difference in skin tone.

"Oh, we're not related, like. It's a nickname," Asher tells him. "She’s my Sister from another mister. I'm her Brother from Another Mother." The Hawk looks on blankly. Asher sighs. "It's a joke."

"Oh!" The Hawk smiles. "Very droll!"

"Marla, this is William," Asher says. "He's a new recruit so we have a bit in common."

"Pleasure to meet you." William grins at me and I nod back. I'm so pleased that Asher's still in one piece I can barely speak. "I'm going to get lunch," William says and leaves us.

"I haven't got long," I say. “Miss Ever made it pretty clear I’m not to slack off.”

"How are you?" Asher says.

"I don't know." I force back tears. "It's just so unfair. They have me washing and sterilising crap in some corner."

"Well, it is a task that befits your station!" A cold voice pipes up from behind Asher's back. Great, it’s Susan. I pull a face at Asher as she sidles up to me. "Did you have a fabulous day, True?" She looks up at Asher, does a double take. "My. Who is this exotic fellow?"

"This is Asher. My best friend." I glare at her, almost hoping she comes out with a proper racist remark so I can deck her.

"What an...interesting hairstyle," she says, running her eyes over the shaved patterns on Asher's skull. "I see society in the future is very, how shall I put this, liberal?"

"Don't you have lunch to get to?" I snap.

"And don't you have some sheets to boil wash?" She simpers, then loops her arm through Asher's. "Goodness!" Her eyes widen as her long fingers snake around his bicep. "The future's looking much brighter all of a sudden."

Asher raises an eyebrow; he's torn between me and the hot blonde.

"Would you like to escort me to a table?" Susan says to Asher.

He scratches his head, looks at me, then her. I can't be arsed with this. "I have work to do." And I stomp off without looking back. I can't believe he's just settling in like that, flirting with the first girl that smiles at him. "Don't get too comfy," I mutter to myself. "We'll be gone soon."