40. Riding on Your Wings.

The dawn air is cool and sort of powdery with the smell of flowers. The sky is a funny shade of gray and pink, stars still twinkling faintly from far away. We stand for a few seconds, our breath drifting through the air like fog. I catch Finlay’s eye, and he smiles grimly, like he can’t believe we're already back up here. 

“We’re alone,” Arkwright whispers. I’d already suggested that Alice’s recruits would be keeping an eye on the Compound entrance. I look at him, glad he’s here. The grey man is blending into the dim light and I have to squint. He’s changed from his usual bland suit into the dark Kestrel fatigues, so with his swept back hair and still face, he looks just like any of the other Kestrels. It’s kind of weird. He’s pointing in the direction of the road where we met Alice. “The Chateau must be where the Traitor has taken the child,” he says. “She’s tried to hide her Fester, but it’s heading that way.”

“Surely she knows we’re going to come after her?” Finlay growls. “Why not go somewhere further afield?”

“She’s cocky,” I say. “She thinks she’s the big I Am. She don’t think we’d dare to come after her.”

“Well,” Arkwright says. “Keep an eye out. Her private army might be stationed all along the Chateau perimeter.”

We head off through the trees, heads low and shields up. Arkwright leads the way, following Alice’s Fester that none of us can see. I can kind of smell it though. The air stinks of blood, and something else, something old that makes the hairs on the back of my neck prickle. She’s been this way, alright. We reach the edge of the tree line, then follow it to the road where we first met Alice. The other side of the road has open fields and beyond that, the Chateau gates, a fence lined with thick trees. Further down the perimeter, I can see the pale walls of the stable house, and I can’t stop the secret smile tugging my face as I remember the way Finlay kissed me in there.

“I’m detecting movement to the North East,” Ted Harrison mutters. He’s talking to Arkwright, but I hear every word. Ted’s light blue eyes are narrow, his lips thin. I hadn’t been able to make out his features before; the morning light must be coming in fast. “I think they are sentries, they don’t know we’re here.” 

“Yet.” Arkwright looks at Finlay.

“We won’t have the cover for much longer,” Finlay says. “We need to move.”

“Indeed,” Arkwright says. “Private William?” 

William steps forward, his pale face the only clue that he’s still suffering from the earlier attack. “Sir?” He says.

“You and Finlay have seen what she can do, what do you recommend?”

“She uses a combination of magics,” William replies, his voice a growly whisper. “It’s like being blitzed. I suggest speed and the element of surprise are our best forms of defence.”

“Never take your shield down,” Finlay adds. “No matter how tired you get.”

“Very well then. I suggest we take the Chateau in a 2-4 formation attack,” Arkwright says. 

“And for those of us who aren’t soldiers?” This is the last thing I need, military slang that makes no sense.

“Four take the front, try and neutralise guards,” Finlay explains. “Then two come in the rear, search for the child.”

“Guards aren’t your problem, it’s her!” I say. “She’ll eat us all for breakfast without breaking a sweat!”

“So what do you suggest?” Finlay cups my elbow. 

I take a deep breath. “Well, if I were her, the only thing that’d distract me is seeing someone who I really wanted dead,” I say. 

“And who’s that?” Arkwright asks.