Chapter One

I gnawed at the pen cap on my pen, reading the same sentence over and over.

As if reading it for the twentieth time would all of a sudden have it make sense to me.

The equation in the textbook mocked me – surely, I was smart enough to figure this out.

That's what I get for volunteering for a double shift before class in the evening. I was spent, my brain no longer receiving any new information making any study session I was trying to do currently, useless.

"Fine," I hissed as I slammed the book shut. "You win!"

Someone in the cubicle behind me shushed me as loud as she could.

I winced, not realizing how loud I had been in the stuffy library. It was late in the day with only those in the evening classes hanging around the library studying.

They probably had no trouble understanding their materials.

I cradled my face in my hands, on the verge of a breakdown. "Oh, this is hopeless."

"Shh!"

I pushed the glasses up on my nose as I leaned back on my chair towards where her voice came from. "Sorry," I whispered loud enough so she could hear.

I sighed as I settled back all four chair legs on the ground. I glanced at my watch, I was late for class.

I stood quickly, picking my books up from the desk and placing them in my bag and the heavy ones on my arms. Once I was done, I turned to start my mad dash through the library when someone suddenly materialized in front of me, stopping me cold.

I yelped, dropping my books all over the floor. The air knocked out of my lungs. I would have toppled over too if he hadn't grabbed my upper arms and held me steady.

"Jeez," I hissed in pain. "Why do you always do that?"

He shrugged his shoulders, letting me go. "It's what I do."

I held my ribs, "It doesn't hurt any less, you know. You're practically made from stone, Damien."

Damien always looked out of place anywhere he went. He had other-worldly good looks, mesmerizing purple eyes and alabaster skin that made women stare at him for longer than I deemed comfortable. Even as children he towered over me and now that we were adults, his six-foot-five lean frame still overshadowed my own. He had always been the one to capture the room. While I was small and average plain Jane for a woman my age, he always exuded confidence and danger that attracted all attention in the room.

He rarely made appearances to the public but when he did, he turned heads.

He tucked and straightened the folded sleeves of his tailored black collar shirt. "After fifteen years, you should be used to it by now."

He was right, instantaneously materializing in front of me I did get used to but not when he blocked me. It was like running into a flesh wall that just appeared out of nowhere.

He was my best friend in the world but sometimes he infuriated me.

I opened my mouth to let him know but was interrupted by someone slamming something in the cubicle next to us.

"Do you mind?" She hissed as she started to stand. "Some of us need to study-"

She stopped dead once her brown eyes fell on Damien.

I rolled my eyes as he turned his full attention to her. He straightened the collar of his shirt as he walked to her. "Forgive me, my lady, I did not mean to be so rude." His voice was like honey, smooth, comforting and by the looks of the girl's cheeks seductive.