Chapter Thirty-Three

I couldn't escape my dreams.

I had to sleep at some point.

And when I did ...

The nightmares would start.

They were horrible.

The first time Damien had a spear through his chest. The second time, a sword. The third time, he was set on fire. The fourth time, an ax. Afterwards, it all just blurred together.

Then it was my parents. Somehow, Robyn had managed to get my parents and kill them too.

I lost count of the many different ways the people I loved died in my arms.

Each one felt just as real as the last-- making it impossible to tell what was real and what wasn't.

Eventually, the dreams shifted. Instead of dreaming of their deaths, I started dreaming of my own.

It wasn't only death but the unimaginable horrors that could befall my fragile body.

It was like he'd gotten inspiration from the history books, had learned every painstaking detail of the tortures of history.

Then he practiced them on me.

I couldn't escape it.

And it went on forever.

Days, weeks? I couldn't tell underground. Time seemed to have no meaning.

I no longer knew where I was. Who I was.

No longer cared.

The only way I could tell it was a dream was that I'd wake up screaming afterward.

And after days of no sleep, they were impossible to avoid.

I was so tired.

I was numb.

An empty shell.

I felt a familiar tug -the first time I felt something within me- and suddenly, I was in water

I wasn't prepared and inadvertently inhaled water.

I was drowning.

I kicked and thrashed and found the slippery porcelain bottom of the water as soon as my hands found the lip of the tub over me. I pulled myself up out of the water and coughed the liquid out of my lungs.

I wasn't drowning, I had just appeared in a large bathtub full of water.

I squinted against the harsh sunlight coming in through the open windows. It stung my eyes anytime I tried to open them. My eyes had gotten used to the eternal darkness.

How long had I been locked up?

A hand grabbed my chin harshly making me look at him without reservation. "Have you learned your lesson?"