Chapter Thirty-Four

Song: Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Lorde

See what I did with the music there? Chapter 28 vs chapter 29? Chapter 12 vs Chapter 34? Goodness I love music.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the votes, the follows, adding to the reading lists. I really appreciate it!

 I really appreciate it!

The nightmares stopped.

I finally had blissful nights of dreamless sleep.

I almost wept with joy the first morning. I didn't wake up in the middle of the night screaming. I was able to sleep through the entire night.

I was no longer in my cell. I was back in the room from the first night. I slept on the bed relishing in the comfort it gave.

I wasn't sure if it were my actions or the words of the man and woman at the party that acquired my new freedom but I didn't care.

Azazeal was never too far and stayed with me for most of the day.

I was a ghost lingering in the halls and in the rooms. I floated on my day to day grateful for the air, the sun and freedom I was being granted.

I only saw Robyn for dinner. He'd talk for what seemed like hours about things I just didn't care about.

He seemed happy enough.

It was on no particular day at all that something changed.

I was sitting on the banister of one of the many outside balconies of the mansion watching the sun set behind the trees. I breathed in the night. I both hated and loved it.

The darkness reminded me of the dark cell of my nightmares that I'd stay in for so long.

But the night also bring the sprites. I would watch them dance on the branches in the woods giving the trees fanciful colors in the inky darkness.

A raven flying overhead landed next to me on the banister. I watched it as it watched me and it then gave a deep bow.

I frowned. How peculiar.

I extended a hand towards it so it could perch on my finger but all it did was watch me.

Strange. All birds lately wanted to do was be nearer to me.

The raven wouldn't come a step closer.

It cawed then nodded towards the woods.

I looked to where it pointed, squinting against the twilight. The trees were swaying. But there was no wind.

No. They weren't swaying from the wind. Something was moving them out of the way, making the tops move with them.

As I continued to watch, Robyn's voice broke through the silence. "Azazeal!"

I watched the bird suddenly fly away and turned to look at Azazeal, his white eyes still expressionless. Instantly, he disappeared.

I left the balcony minutes later, bored, going back to the room ready to have dinner when the doors of the room suddenly burst open from the hall.