Chapter Twenty-Eight

[A/N]: Song: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Eurythmics (please play)

I stared at the dress in Kymra's arms. It was a dark green with more fabric than I'd ever seen and much more decorated with stones and gold embroidery than the ones I'd worn before. Definitely a high-class party dress.

"Going to this party is probably the worst idea I've ever heard in my entire life. I rather get a lobotomy. " I didn't hide my opinion of the whole situation.

I was tired of everything.

I just wanted to go home.

"It's only a couple of hours away," Kymra said. "Just get through the night and then you will be home free."

I bit my lip. "Do I really have to play dress up and pretend like this is all behind us?" I sighed looking heavenward. "I just--I have a bad feeling about this."

Kymra shook her head. "Not to worry, Emmy. Oren and I are also not satisfied with the answers the Magister gave us. We are not giving up."

I took a long shaky breath. "Protect him? I'd hate for something to happen to Damien because he's being too stubborn to listen."

Kymra tried not to laugh and failed. "Come, the sooner we get you into this, the sooner you can leave."

After the morning's meeting ended, Kymra wouldn't leave my side. She'd taken me to the Royal Gardens again and kept me under her watchful eye.

The dread for the evening settled in as the hours flew by.

It looked like a normal garden that hid the colors and wonder of it at night.

I found a small cement bench on the path and sat on it for most of the afternoon. I'd close my eyes and enjoyed the sun and breeze as it picked up.

Kymra didn't say a word. She just stood close by.

I didn't know whose idea it was to keep me out of the room but I was grateful. I was starting to go crazy with the solitude.

Eventually, Kymra cleared her throat and motioned inside. "Lady Emylin, it's time to get ready for the party."

The dress was gorgeous and even made me feel like a princess. The fabric flowed around me as I walked glinting different shades of green depending on how the light would hit it. It hugged me tight but was still comfortable enough to move around in. The front of the dress was dark green and created a sweetheart neckline. The shimmering fabric over it covered my shoulders making it look like my skin was shining. Stones and gold were embroidered along the hem of the dress and short sleeves in a beautiful formation.

Apparently, Leah had picked it out.

Kymra twisted my hair out of my face and pinned it in the back but left it mostly down with a couple of strands of my brown hair in my face. She'd done my make up too with delicate gold and nude colors to accent the dress. She did a great job of hiding my tired eyes and wane skin.

Kymra was in armor, the same silver breastplate I'd seen before with the long dark skirt that billowed as she walked exposing her long beautiful legs.

"Who will be there tonight?" I asked as she escorted me to the ballroom where the party would take place.

"The Guard, and the Court. It should be a very small get together. It's mostly to introduce the future Alteaza to those that will be close to her going forward."

I sighed. "This is a horrible idea. They will know that I'm human."

Kymra flinched. "Yes, quite possibly but the future Queen was adamant about you being there. The King just wants to make her happy."