Chapter Forty-One

A date.

We were going on a date.

Damien and I would be dating.

I covered my face with my hands as I continued to stare at the closed doors. "What the hell am I going to wear?"

A new feeling tugged in the pit of my stomach. Something was wrong, I felt it screaming deep inside me. As much as I wanted to believe that Robyn's eyes hadn't suddenly appeared through Damien's, I couldn't deny it.

I knew I wasn't imagining things.

And yet ...

I refused to believe it.

It was Damien. It had to be.

I stopped in front of the dresser and looked at the small jewelry box that I'd almost pushed off before with my power.

My power.

I had powers now. Magic lived in me.

I looked at my hand and flexed it.

I didn't feel it like before - I didn't feel it hum beneath my skin, didn't feel it course through me. I could feel it just beneath the surface but nothing else. Nothing like when Robyn had finally released it to find Damien's heirs. I felt like I was a step up from a human, still powerless and weak.

At least Damien was helping in keeping it under control, just in case I hurt anyone.

A soft noise made me turn towards the door. I listened carefully and realized it was someone knocking on it. I frowned, it was like they weren't even trying to make themselves known.

I walked warily towards it and opened it slightly.

I smiled when I recognized the soft chocolate eyes that greeted me.

My smile immediately fell when I opened the door wider and took in her entire appearance. The last time I saw her, her long black hair swept up in a high ponytail away from her face. Her pristine skin had been glowing, and despite what was happening at the time, she managed to have a smile on her face to help my uneasiness.

But now...

I hardly recognized her. She wasn't in armor, she was in a long flowing brown robe with a hood. The hood was down but I knew she had been wearing it over her head before I opened the door. Her hair was disheveled, carelessly picked up in a bun. Her cheeks were filthy like she had been rolling around in the dirt.

"Kymra?" I barely breathed.

She didn't curtsey, she only looked back down the empty hall. "Can I come in?"

I nodded and opened the door. She quickly walked inside and shut the door forcefully, taking it from my hands.

Her long fingers were dirty. Black dirt caked her fingernails like she had been digging with her hands and couldn't quite get it all off. The pattern continued with streaks of dirt trailing up into her sleeves.

She turns to me with tired eyes, "I'm so happy to see you." She hugged me quickly.

I frowned. It seemed uncharacteristic given we barely knew each other. "I heard I have you to thank."

"I was one of many, my lady," she replied as she let me go. She started to walk around the room examining everything around her.

She looked frantic, in a panic like she just finished running a marathon and couldn't keep still.

"Everything all right?" I asked her concerned.

She ignored me. "How are you feeling?"

I hesitated. "I'm ... all right, I guess? Shaken up because of what I'm learning but all right." I gave a small laugh. "Some good came of this at least, Damien and I are going on our first date tonight."