(4)

L E O N I E S • P O V

"Bray," I stare up at a dear and old friend as he stands over Jess and I, who are still in the grass wrapped around each other.

He grins and helps us both up, pulling me into a bone crushing hug. Bray and I have known each other forever. We've been at the same school since we were children. He's on the school football team and has plans on going pro. His big sister, Jade, is at Miami Dade College doing social work. She's cooler than he is though. She lets us hang around her place most weekends which isn't the most intelligent idea considering we're all underage. She could get in big shit when we drink. But she doesn't seem to care.

"Jess," Bray grinned when he released me and snatched her up. Her feet came off the air and she giggled. "Good to be back?"

"For sure," she blushed, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. Flirt alert. "Yeah it's good to be back with the squad."

While Jess was granted some freedom over summer, she wasn't allowed to come to every event. However, when all of us were together, I had noticed that her and Bray had started to become closer and closer. She told me that she had a crush on him but she didn't want to step on my toes.

Bray and I have a complicated-ish past. About four months before summer just been, we'd been having a small get together at my apartment while Mom was out of town. There was alcohol, music, pizza and then. . . there was sex. Well the pizza came after the sex. We worked up an appetite.

Besides the point.

It had been a long time since I had been touched and I was in need. So that happened. And it wasn't half bad. So it kept happening. There were no strings attached of course. Relationships were an absolute no for me. But when summer rolled around, I decided to call it quits. It had the potential to become complicated and I didn't want that.

"I wonder if we've got classes together this year," Bray folded his arms and smiled at Jess. He wasn't unattractive, at all. He had golden brown hair and a soft gaze. He was tall and muscular but on the leaner side of muscular. Picture Dave Franco with height. But he had a shit eating grin and as soon as he smiled, he looked like a trouble making moron. In a sort of cute way.

Jess nodded and held onto her back pack straps as she shifted her feet. "Yeah I think that we have drama together. I remember you said that you wanted to take that class."

"You took drama?" I pointed at him in confusion. "You're on the football team?"

He laughed that loud and idiotic laugh that made me flinch with surprise. "Whoops," he winced at Jess, still appearing amused. "I did say that I wanted to take Drama. But na I can't because of the commitment to the team. Sucks. I wanted to."

"You'd be damn good at it," I said. "Drama queen."

Jess shrugged a shoulder but I could tell that she was disappointed. "What about Biology," she questioned. "Who do you have for that?"

"Mrs Yule," he said.

"Me too," I replied.

Jess awed with disappointment. "Damn. I have Mr Laron. So does Amy."

"Alex is in our class, Lee," Bray pointed at the fourth member of our friend group who was walking down the school steps. His dark blonde hair swept across his forehead and I always wondered how he didn't end up red as a beet. Poor pale kid couldn't even tan.

He approached the three of us with a small wave. Alex was big intelligent. He was into science and experiments. He was super quiet and I could not figure out how he had been friends with Bray since kindergarten. The two of them were brothers for all it mattered. Despite being polar opposites. Bray had one of those personalities that was hard to cope with when you were more reserved. Sort of like me some would say.