(13)

H E A T H

"Did I fall asleep in the car last night?" Sarah sat at the breakfast table on Wednesday morning and pushed yogurt around her bowl with boredom. The curtains were still drawn and the television was humming one of her shows.

I'd emerged because the sun was just coming up and I wanted to get a jog in before it got too hot. There were no lectures on campus today. But starting back at College hadn't been slow. We had a huge workload already. So I'd do some studying during the day. I sat down on the other side of the table and put my phone down. "Yeah, I carried you in."

"Well I'd have been worried if it wasn't you who had carried me in," she mumbled with sarcasm, picking up her spoon and turning it over until plops of yogurt fell into her bowl. I sighed with amusement at her obvious boredom.

My phone pinged with a text message and I picked it up, leaning my elbows on the table top while I read the screen. It was Leonie and I felt a smile pull at the corners of my mouth.

Leonie
Morning ! Chat with me if you're awake? I'm at the airport with Mom and it is booooooring. None of my other friends are up. Lazy little
fuckers.

Hey Morning. Tell your Mom that I said safe travels!

Leonie
No chance. It'll go straight to her head. She was crushing hard last night.

I laughed at the message and Sarah cleared her throat. She was watching me with an arched brow and suspicion in her features. "What?" I shrugged.

"Is that Leonie?"

"Yeah."

She said nothing. She pursed her lips though and seemed to have some sort of comment dancing on the tip of her tongue. But instead of coming out with something that would have been inappropriate for her age, she shrugged and picked up her spoon. "I like her. She's cool. Tell her I said hello."

She was not. Haha. My sister said to say hello :)

"You like her, huh?" Sarah said, slipping her fingers under her beanie and scratching. She tried to discreetly drop a clump of hair onto the floor and I pretended not to notice.

"Sure, she's nice."

"Na uh," Sarah narrowed her playful stare. "You like, like her. As in you wanna bang her lady parts, get her pregnant, put a ring on it, grow old together, like her."

I stared at her and couldn't have conjured a response if I wanted to. It was more disturbing than I cared for but regardless of whether I told her that or not, she wouldn't stop. "I've known her for about two weeks."

"That's irrelevant," she gave up on her flavourless yogurt and pushed the plate into the middle of the table. "She's one of those girls. You know? She stands out. You couldn't help falling in love with her. I bet there are a ton of dudes that have secret crushes on her. She captures your heart and it's all over from that moment on. A modern fairytale."

"You watch too much television."

She wasn't wrong though. Leonie was one of those girls. I hadn't stopped thinking about her since we met. She was a puzzle to me. One that made an exquisite picture with each new piece that was put together. The more that I learned, the more that I liked. It was a little disappointing to know that she wasn't interested in relationships. Not that I could claim that I would have a chance with her. It just meant that there was zero chance and that was a bit of a bummer.

Leonie
OMG. I love your sister. This is what I think of her. Tell her. Three words, eight letters.

Is that meant to mean something?