(35)

L E O N I E

Heath stared at me. Lips parted. Lashes fluttering with rapid blinking. I'd had two days to process the news that I was pregnant. I'd sort of come to terms with it. Sort of. I was still in shock. I had a whole damn human in my uterus. But still, the initial holy-shit-what-the-fûck moment had worn off. It was evident that Heath was going through that now.

My nerves and blubbering came from the fact that I was so damn scared of his reaction. Would he be mad? I mean, I was a little bit mad. I'd been on the pill. The only reason that I knew that I was pregnant in the first place was because I went for a renewal at the doctor and as part of the new prescription, I had to do a pregnancy test. It was standard. I'd done it a million times before.

What I hadn't done before was tell the doctor that I was going to sue his ass after he said in a calm and collected tone "oh Leonie. Were you aware that you're pregnant? This test is positive honey."

Yeah dipshit. I knew that I was pregnant. That's why I was in trying to get a renewal on my useless pill. Just to stop myself from getting pregnant again. Dumbass. He told me that it happened sometimes. The pill wasn't 100% effective. Well, I felt screwed. And not in the good way.

Heath swallowed and then he took me by surprise and engulfed me in a hug. A huge hug. One that wrapped right around me. His chin rested on my head and I could hear his heart pounding fast and hard against my cheek. "I'm here," he murmured. "However you need me. Whatever you want. I'm here."

Great. Now I was sobbing because affection when I was already fragile made me emotional.

"Leonie," he cupped my face again, forcing me to look up at him. "It's okay. It'll be okay."

"I'm sorry," I blubbered.

"Why? Why are you sorry baby? I was there too. Wasn't I? I was right?"

"Yes," I blinked and felt tears roll down my cheeks. "I'm sorry because I was on the pill. Something went wrong. I feel so fucking bad that I've put you in this situation."

"Don't do that," he shook his head and his thumbs swiped at my cheeks, drying the tears. "We were both responsible. I know that the pill isn't always effective. We've covered that in a few of our lectures."

He chuckled but it was a little unhinged. Like he was in a state of shock.

"But I don't blame you. I don't. Just talk to me. What are you feeling? Thinking? I mean, when did you find out?"

I exhaled and tried to stabilise my erratic breathing. "I found out two days ago. At an appointment to renew my pill. It was a standard pregnancy test with a not so standard result."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

I wiped my face. "Because I was sort of scared that you'd be pissed. Like I'd tricked you into not using a condom so I could get knocked up on purpose."

"Yes I'd be the perfect man to trap. What with my no money and huge student loan. Don't forget, I still live at home. Who wouldn't want all of that."

"Excuse me. Look at you. Who wouldn't want to reproduce with all of that? Genetic lotto."

His expression softened into a sweet smile.