90 days to live - Chapter 4

“She will stay in my compartment” Vicarius’ stubborn arguments are easily heard through the closed door. I wrap my arms more tightly around my waist; sharp bolts of pain surge through my stomach but they’re manageable. I hold on tight to my stomach and the discomfort begins to lessen.

“It is inappropriate for a Warrior to live with a leader. You are the second in command Vicarius” Carlisle’s stern voice replies calmly.

“It is inappropriate of a leader not to take charge and do what is best for his Warrior’s. I know very well that I’m second in command Carlisle. The STO is strong but Lara’s current state is unpredictable” Vicarius replies.

“Are you suggesting Lara is crazy” Carlisle replies. I scowl.

“No” Vicarius says

“Vicarius listen to yourself, your proposal is not reasonable. Iron and Ally are Lara’s keepers” Carlisle responds/

I’m not supposed to be hearing any of this but it seems the conference rooms of the STO have walls that are thinner than paper.

“Carlisle is right Vic” Iron pipes in. “Lara is safe with us”

“So safe a Sicarii was able to get into my room” I mutter under my breath.

“And she’s happy too” Ally chirps.

I scowl and let my head fall back against the wall. The crash sounds like thunder rolling in; the sound is as apparent as their obliviousness.

The door to the conference room opens and Carlisle’s head appears. His smooth skin has bunched into frown lines. He nods his head in the direction of the conference room, beckoning for me to enter.

“Lara, please come in”

I rise from the cushioned bench and follow Carlisle into the room. His golden hair appears to glint as the light reflects off the silver flecks. There is no denying it’s grown; instead of sporting his old buzz cut, his hair now falls to his narrow shoulders. He still leans heavily on the insulting Leto ‘cane’.

For the past 10 minutes, Vicarius has been arguing that I’m no longer stable enough to stay with a bonded Caritas pair. Instead, he came up with the grand plan that I should stay in his compartment. There are both advantages and disadvantages to this solution.

I take a deep breath and stand in front of line consisting of Vicarius, Ally, Iron and Carlisle who joins onto the far right end. In their linear formation I feel as if I’m on trial.

“Lara, Vicarius has been contesting the idea that you are not mentally fit enough to live in compartment 22 with Ally and Iron; he is implying that it is difficult for you to live with a bonded couple” Carlisle gestures to Ally and Iron.

Disadvantage number 1; being considered ‘mentally unfit’.

“I’m saying she’s unhappy” Vicarius replies, folding his arms. His lips form a firm grimace as he glares at Iron.

I wince down at the floor before returning my eyes to glance around the room. I see the storm brewing in Vicarius’ eyes as he quarrels for his way, in Carlisle’s are the piercing electric blue orbs that seek the approval of Vic’s words. However the eyes I’m most reluctant to encounter are Ally and Iron’s; it’s another inconvenience.

I’ll insult my friends.

“Are you unhappy Lara?” Ally asks. The word ‘BETRAYED’ is written across her face in bold black capitals. Iron’s arm slips around Ally’s waist and tugs her into his chest. He too looks slight affected. I feel my bonds with both of them tingle from their dejectedness.