90 days to live - Chapter 14

EARLY UPLOAD - Please vote and comment your thoughts.

This cannot be happening. 

I awaken from my Haze, crouched against the back of the electric blue walls. Leaning my head back, I sigh, debating whether or not to move. 

My feet become planted on the blue linoleum floor of the Tube. I'm back in the STO compound. I have failed. But most importantly I am alone.

My head feels uncomfortably empty. I almost miss the commanding and violent nature of the Torpen. i shake my head; I should not long for the company of an evil prescence.

My eye lashes are wet, making it impossible to see. I blink away the moisture. A jolt of shock runs throughout my body as I see Iron standing straight in front of me. Its only been a few days since I last saw him but it feels as if an eternity has passed. 

His finger rises, indicating for me to come out of the tube. I oblige. The consequences hold no amount of measurable terror that I would consider sufficient or of standard. The familiar smell of the Leto palace lingers in the air. I can't decide whether I detest it or crave it.

"No Jared?" Iron asks. 

I shake my head. In front of me I see a few Warriors on the floor examining Kyle's ankle. By his grimace, I can see it's no better.

"Where is she?" Iron inquires. Unmasked fear slips into his voice.

I'm unable to say it, I'm unable to say that she's gone. I can't break his heart to the extent of which mine has been. A soft moan leaves my lips sending the message that I'm unable to.

"I'm so sorry." I whisper. 

I expect him to yell at me, arrest me and then to kill me. I've managed to screw up his relationship on the blind hope that mine would still function. But he nods, almost as if its what he expected. His hazel eyes don't soften and his frame remains tensed yet he moves forward to wrap his arms awkwardly around me. I don't push him away but instead I sob silently into his shoulder. He smells like washing powder. My tears run right off his suit. 

"What happened?" He asks.

"I couldn't leave her behind Iron, I needed to earn her forgiveness. I needed her to come with me. It wasn't meant to end up like this. I got so desperate, I didn't even think about the consequences of this for her or for you. She's gone all for nothing." I say, hiccuping my way through my words.

"Where is Jared?"

"Sicarii base" I reply. Iron pushes me away, holding my shoulders.

"Why didn't he come back with you?" 

"Because he's a Torpen and a Torpen is designed to destroy people" I say before resting my head against his shoulder once more.

"Lara, I'm so sorry. God I should've been more understanding - I know how hard it is to be separated from your bond-mate. You couldn't prevent your change." Iron says quietly.