The Power of Play

In writing there are a good many rules. Things that help and guide you to writing a good story. But there is a rule that I feel like not a lot of people talk about.

Okay so it's not technically a rule but I think it's something that everyone should do. What is this mystery rule/non-rule you ask? Well! I shall tell you!

It's the that you should...PLAY! 🤗🎉🎊*throws confetti into the air* 🎊(*swipes at the air to keep the confetti from getting in my hair* Okay. Was that really necessary?)

That's right! Play! Writing is fun and so you should dive into it! Explore the world you created! Try a new genre! Write something that you have no idea what it's about but you just want to see where it takes you! Write a short story! Write from t...

That's right! Play! Writing is fun and so you should dive into it! Explore the world you created! Try a new genre! Write something that you have no idea what it's about but you just want to see where it takes you! Write a short story! Write from third person or first person! Play around! There are no limits! There is nothing you can't do! Embrace that! 🤗

When you play it gives you the freedom to explore and to try something you might never have tried before.

When you play, you are allowing your right brain to become the most active and dominant part.

(If you didn't know, the brain is separated into two major section, the left and the right; the left acts as an editor, dealing more with logistics and details, where as the right deals with creativity and imagination.)

You are literally channeling you inner crazy aunt and letting your mind have free range. You are metaphorically dawning one of those crazy patterned kimonos with the fringe, braiding your hair and letting your mind go running wind into a field of tall grass as it blows in the wind at sunset. Sounds pretty fun to me, if I'm honest.

When you let your mind play, your are telling your inner editor to sit down and shut the hell up. Their time will most definitely come. But that isn't right now. We will get to when the editor is needed. But for a new writer, and especially for a new story, the editor within can cause irreparable damage to the point where the life of your creativity is at stake.

But, when you let your mind play, anything is possible, worlds, universes, galaxies, anything your mind can dream up, its there waiting for you.

By letting your mind run wild, you are actually throwing out all exterior pressures or expectations. You are ridding your mind of all foreign ideas of what writing should be. You are making it your own. You are taking ownership and finding that universe that only exists in your head. And since it lives only within your own brain, that means that only you can write this world. It is yours. It is your characters. Your story. And it is your job to write how you see it.

Brilliantly put! 👏🏼👏🏼 (I now need to buy a kimono! Has anyone seen a field of daisies? 😉)

(Tyler knows how to rock a kimono)

Onward!
You might not know this but I have about (currently) 28 stories that I want to write. The genres for them ranges from teen fiction to fantasy to sic-fi to adventure! How can I have so many different styles of stories? Because I let myself play. I don't let myself think I can only ever write one genre.

I might never write some of my story ideas but it doesn't matter because simply by letting myself play I've found ideas for books in places I never thought to look!

So that is the rule I have for you, GO PLAY!!!