I know you like them, but how well do you know them? (Character)

I have to say this is one of my favorite parts about writing! Getting to know your character! Becoming their best friend.

(#bestfriendgoals4reals)

You get to learn what they like and dislike. There is nothing more important than knowing your character, because the character is the soul of the book. The driving forcing behind every scene. Their actions dictate what will happen. That is why knowing them to their core is so vital!

It may sound like Joy's off her meds, but she's totally right. You basically have this living, breathing person occupying your mind. Might as well get to know them a bit.

(I have over 28 different characters in my head and it gets weird sometimes. So that should explain a lot about me)

Now!

I know that can kind of sound overwhelming but this will be fun! Because to start you on the path of knowing that character is just a list questions. Questions that you already know the answer to, or well your character does and they'll let you know! The answers to these questions tell you a lot about who your character is.

I see it as falling in love. You're obviously interested in this character. They neatly settled themselves into your brain. You like what you see and you can relate to them on a certain level. This is just a way to really get to know them, to figure out who they really are. They're already on your mind 24/7. Time to get to know your new tenant!

Exactly! So! This is a brief character analysis. Basic questions you need to know, even if you never tell us (the readers) about all of this, you still need to know it. We will be able to sense that you know all of it. (I really hope that makes sense)

A great writer is distinguished by the complete control they have over their character, complete ownership. This comes from knowing literally everything about them. They can act any way you want them to and your audience will trust you because you know the character best, there just has to be a good reason why they would do what they did.

You might not tell your audience about your main character's crazy Uncle Francis. But if it affects how they act around Pomeranians, you need to know not only everything about crazy Uncle Francis and his pet Pomeranian Chip but his relationship with your character. Most importantly, how that relationship has affected them. That way, when your main character starts barking and jumping up and down at the sight of a small fluffy dog, your readers will go along with the ride, because they will sense that you know what's going on, even if they don't.
(And she says I'm off my meds 😂)

Alright all you have to do is answer these questions about you specific character! (I'm a fan of using a legal pad to write it all down on, or you can simply comment here is you like!) I will be using my character Carter from A Secret Service as an example through out.