Maria's Reading List!

Is this on? *taps mic* Check. Check. Can you hear me?

Oh, boy. I'm a little nervous. My own chapter. I really hope I don't screw this up.

Of course I won't! I'm freaking awesome! And I'll be talking about some the greatest works of literature ever written. I'm pretty sure I could write this chapter in my sleep. (I am currently sitting on my bed while writing this, so we're half way there.)

Okay, so here's the deal with this reading list. These are suggestions. Very strong, hard handed recommendations, yes. But still just suggestions. The thing with these pieces of wonderful art, you kind of gotta trip and stumble upon them on your own. They are not to be forced upon anyone. That would only deter from their immense value. These works are to be your friend and companion on your walk of life. And hopefully they'll inspire and encourage you along the way just as they have done for me.

Okay, let's start with the pinnacle of all writing ever, in the history of humanity, from now until the world ends. This is the greatest book ever written and never fails to be relevant. It is not one of those books you can just read over and over again. I have actually only read it twice in my entire life. The first time it absolutely blew me away. And then it took me another 6 years to read it because I was afraid of bursting it's magical bubble. (Spoilers: it held up and did not disappoint.)

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

When I first read this wonderful work, I was absolutely blown away by how important literature could be. I was inspired by how relevant it was, even so long after it had been published. I do believe it is a large part of the reason I am a writer today due to the weight and importance it still holds in our society today, providing an honest evaluation on issues we still currently face as the human race.

(Okay, after TKAM, everything is just my top five, in no particular order.)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I love this book. I appreciate the most her strong and independent main female protagonist. She provides the perfect model of a main character, one which I would hope all female writers should aspire to. With consideration of her time period and the culture around her, Austen offers hope that, even in a male-dominated society, there is still a place where kick-*ss women are appreciated and welcomed.

A Moveable Feast by Ernst Hemingway

I had never really read memoirs before and this book completely convinced me of their merit. I love Paris. I would love to live in Paris. This book offers such a vivid idea of what it would be like to live in Paris, during the greatest era for literature and culture (the 1920's) in the greatest city while working to pursue one's dream.

The Aspern Papers by Henry James

Again, this book is the best simply for his amazing writing technique. I have yet to visit Venice in real life. Yet I feel as though I have lived there through this book. It's too short for its own good and absolutely magical. I soaked up every word and couldn't get enough.

Last, but certainly not least, as I have about a million other books I could write about until the end of time,

Hamlet by Shakespeare

I know this isn't a book and may seem a bit pretentious. It's not. I promise you. I love this play because of its pure use of character. Unfortunately, due to the complete overwhelming stress students are put under in school these days, a lot of the stories we are required to read end up with a bad taste in our mouth.

I read this play while I was sick and I absolutely loved it. I've reread it and own my own copy. This story is filled to the brim with character development and intrigue. It offers a wonderful look into how a main character can both simultaneously be completely out of his mind, losing his marbles, yet so clear and present, so sure of himself.

It's a wonderful story and I highly recommend sitting down and reading it one a lovely Sunday afternoon. (I suggest getting a version where they help with a few of the words, as the English language continues to develop over the years.) (Also, you'll feel smart and sophisticated AF if you're caught, laying out on the beach looking fabulous reading Hamlet of all things. Real intellectual stuff.)

Here's just a few more I don't have time to write about, but love, nonetheless:
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (I read this one every year)
- Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
- Seven Daughters and Seven Sons by Barbara Cohen (I highly recommend this one if you're looking for another strong, independent BA female protagonist)

Alright! Well! There you go! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I hope I didn't complete fail you and that you enjoyed this.

If you're curious about any other book recommendations, comment and ask!

Again, I have a million and five favorite books. I am never not reading and I consume any and all books I can get my hands on. Also, if you have book recommendations for me, please! Let me know! Anything you'd think I'd like, comment! I'm always looking for my next read.

 Also, if you have book recommendations for me, please! Let me know! Anything you'd think I'd like, comment! I'm always looking for my next read