Her days...

“I think her days of coherence are…” 

He didn't have to finish his sentence, I knew what that meant. She had gone downhill very fast, and I knew what was going to happen soon. Normally, I would cry at moments like this, but I had cried so much already that I couldn't bring myself to do it. It wasn't that I wasn't upset, of course I was, but I knew this was coming. 
I knew she was going to pass soon, I knew I would lose my grandmother. I had already started to set aside my outfit for the funeral. I had done that weeks ago. Now, I was just tired, tired of the nausea that I felt while going to the home she's staying in. I'm tired of seeing her suffering. 
All I can do is try to remember the good times. The days and nights out at Renfrew, the morning trips to the store. The shocked and happy look on her face when I would walk over to show her my recent cosplays. 
I miss going over and sitting next to her, singing to her to get her feedback. She would always tell me the same story afterwards, I used to get annoyed by it, but now its all I can think of. It was the story of how her and my grandfather met. How they both were in chior and theater. She always talked about the day my grandfather approached her and asked to go out to dinner with her. She would tell me stories about how they got to know each other. They told me about the time when their friends who owned a funeral home took a pair of my grandpa's white shoes and cremated them, then sent them a fake obituary. I remember my dad talking out how my grandparents were always there for him. That his parents always came to help him when he wrecked his car or messed up at something else.

But how all those days are gone. The days of hearing her voice, loud and strong, are over. There is nothing left of her old self. now, she can barely lift her legs, she can't move by herself, she's barely eating. This all hurts so much. I am so incredibly close to my grandma, but how I find it hard to stay in her room without wanting to cry.
The last thing she said to me when she was coherent was: 
“I'm so proud of you, and so is Pop Pop. They're all watching over you, ya know, they're all proud.”

That moment, to me, was the last time I would actually talk to my grandma…

My grandmother taught me so many lessons about life and now I wish I had listened closer, just stayed and laughed a little bit longer, just relaxed and enjoyed watching Wheel Of Fortune with her.... So this is an open letter to my grandmother.

Dear Nanny

When I was first discovering who I was, I was scared to tell you, scared of you not accepting. When I relapsed and started to cut, I was told to not let you see, I didn't understand at that time, but now I do.
When Mom left, you were there for all of us, you helped us through everything. You were there for all the talent shows and bad days, you took me to everything I signed up for, supported me through all of my performances and cosplays.
But now I'll never see your smile in front of me, all bright and surprised, but I'll see if when I fall asleep, when I close my eyes and relax. I can feel you around me when I close my eyes.
When you passed and we had to leave our home, I felt like I was leaving you behind. But even though you have never been in this house, I know you are here now.
Even though you've never had a room here and you've never even stepped foot within these walls, I know your here. For months, in refused to call this place home, but now the old house doesn't feel like home either.
I miss you everyday, but I know you're here, and I know you're proud of me. I left a small book and a pencil with you when you left, I hope to get your letters soon.
I love you.

Sincerely,
Zane