Ch. Two

"So how was it?" My mom squealed at me as I came through the door after my first day of school.

"It was awful." I groaned, throwing the bag onto the couch with a loud thump because of all of the heavy books inside.

She frowned and moved to stand closer to me. "Why? What happened?"

"Don't really want to talk about it." I muttered, heading for the stairs.

"Who brought you home?" She asked when she noticed Adam's big Hummer driving away from the house through one of the front windows.

I shrugged. "One of Luke's friends."

She raised her eyebrows at me and I could tell that I shouldn't have said that. "A boy?"

I gave her a serious frown so that she could tell that I was not in the mood for that. "Mom, I really just want to go take a shower or something. I'm not in the mood."

She nodded, backing away and giving up on her questions for now. "Okay. We'll talk later, hun."

"Sure." I sighed, making my way up the stairs.

I quickly got into the shower to relax and take my mind off of school. Why was I even going? I knew everything that they were teaching us, I didn't need to go.

When I got out of the shower, it was almost time for Luke to be home. I really liked to take unreasonably long showers which I knew was bad for the environment and our water bill but I couldn't help it. I did my best thinking with the hot water soothing me. I finished my homework in less than ten minutes, easily, after I got back to my room. I was putting my books back in my bag when a knock on my door made me jump. I looked up to see Luke swinging the door open.

"Luke, what's the point of knocking if you're just going to walk in anyway?" I asked him with raised eyebrows.

He shrugged and sat in my desk chair. "Seemed polite."

I looked up at him, ready to hear what he had to say so that I could maybe take a nap before dinner or something. "What's up?"

"How was school? I didn't really see you around."

"It was okay, I guess." I assured him.

"Was Adam nice to you when he brought you home?"

I nodded. "Yeah, he was fine."

"Good. Sorry I couldn't take you home, our practice schedule is getting kind of hectic."

"Don't worry about it." I told him because I didn't want him to feel bad about it but I also didn't want it to happen again. "Only one more game, right?"

He nodded in confirmation. "And we're going to kick ass."

I chuckled. "I'm sure."

"Do you want to go? To the game, I mean."

"No, not really." I shook my head. I've been to Luke's football games before and sitting in the family section with my mom wasn't terrible but now that I'm a student, I'm sure that they'd want me to sit in the student section which is much louder and probably even a little drunk and that both frightens and uninterests me.

"It would help get Mom off of your back for being antisocial." Luke made a great point and I absolutely hated it.

I sighed and then I nodded with a childish shrug. "Fine. You're right."

"I know. Feel like doing my homework?" He asked with a friendly smile.

I raised my eyebrows at him in shock that he'd even ask me to do that. Granted, he used to have me do his homework and I wouldn't mind because I had no work to do myself and it was really easy but then he started failing his classes and I realized that I was really hurting him by doing his work for him, so I stopped that. "Really?"