Ch. Forty

"How come our relationships can't be perfect at the same time?" Ariana asked as we were in my room with Allison, eating popcorn and watching The Vow.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean at the beach house, me and Luke couldn't be happier, but then that thing with Adam happened. But now, you and Jack couldn't be happier, but I'm fighting with Luke." She said.

"He told me that he'd talk to you this morning." I said, confused.

"Yeah, he told me that too, but when he came over, Abby answered the door and scared him away."

I laughed. "Your fifteen year old sister scared Luke away?"

"She can be very scary."

"He's never going to live this down."

"Why are you guys even fighting?" Allison asked.

"I don't know really. I just told him that it might not be the best idea for you to go to that lunch with Amber and he just completely freaked out." She said to me.

"That's it?" I asked. 

"That's kind of... stupid." Allison said.

"I know it is! But last night, he just wasn't in a good mood, I guess. So he just freaked out."

"It's just a lunch, at a busy place, she can't do anything even if she wanted to." I said.

"I guess. But you really don't think that it could be just a bit suspicous?" She asked me.

"I think it's fine. I mean, the worst Amber could do is, I don't know, spread bad gossip? She's not a smart person." Allison said.

"I guess." Ariana huffed.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I called.

"No, it could be-" Ariana stopped her whispering when the door slowly opened and Luke stood there.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked, acting like everything was normal.

"Jack is downstairs." He said, focusing all of his attention on me as the tension in the room grew.

"Awkward. I'm just going to go. See you guys tomorrow." Allison said, getting up and hurrying towards the door after we said quick goodbyes.

"Why doesn't he just come up here?" I asked.

"Because I don't want him in your room." Luke said sternly.

I chuckled and rolled my eyes. "Fine, I'll go downstairs and see him."

"You're just going to leave me in here by myself?" Ariana whined, standing to her feet with me.

I smiled sweetly at her. "Actually, you two are going into Luke's room and you are going to talk this out because I don't think I've ever heard of a stupider reason to fight. Fix it fast because we are running out of popcorn and Channing Tatum movies."

Before either one of them could oppose, I hurried downstairs to Jack.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Just be careful." Ariana told me one last time. "Don't trust her."

I smiled at her as I slipped my jacket over my t-shirt. "It'll be fine. Just think, in one week, Amber will be in the past and we will be living it up in a five star hotel with Chris Malcom."

She smiled. "Okay, go, have fun."

I smiled and hurried out the door to my car, headed towards The Basement for one weird lunch with one of my worst enemies.