xiv || A BURNING PASSION

[EDITED]

JOSH and I entered the lodge behind our beloved Sam and feisty Mike, who had just started walking into the living room. I spotted Chris and Ashley too. Other than Josh and Emily, Sam and Matt were the only people I trust at this point. Jess is dead and never in a thousand years would I ever trust Ashley again. Mike and Chris have been messing with my nerves all night. That was a big no no.

"Hey, Essence," Sam waved to me, gesturing me to come closer to her.

She must've looked at Josh and I because she grinned, "Ah. You two finally aren't blind anymore."

I shrugged, "Yep. I guess you can say we're official?"

Josh squeezed my hand, "I'm going to go get you that jacket of mine so you don't freeze to death."

I nodded to Josh, and he went up the stairs. That left me with Sam and Mike to talk to, because Mike forbade Chris and Ashley to even speak a word of what went on in the shed. We didn't have to speak long, because Josh was back with a jacket for me.

"Here babe," Josh kissed my hand. His leather jacket fit a bit large on me, but the midnight shaded piece of clothing provided the "warmth I needed." I heard screams outside. We all did, and ran to the door in fear.

"Let me in! Guys? Hello? Help!" I heard a frantic voice in panic. Ashley opened the door, and someone fell.

It wasn't Matt or Jess, but Emily. My sister!

"Close the door!" She screamed, making Ashley jump and immediately obey.

"Oh my God, Essence!"

She ran into my arms and embraced me tight. We stood there silent, rocking back and forth in one another's arms.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

I nodded to her, tears in my eyes, "Yes. Oh God, I thought you were dead or something." My sister started to cry, her tears dropping onto Josh's jacket.

"I love you so much, Essence... Oh my God, I thought I wouldn't come back. I was so scared of losing you," Emily cried.

At times she stopped mid-sentence to sniff, so that all of the blockage in her nose would free up her airways.

"You were the only reason I came back!"

I pulled away from our sisterly moment, "What? Matt! Where is he?"

Emily shivered, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, "He left me... It's a hell of a story."

Emily walked me over to the couch. Everyone followed closely behind, wanting to hear what Emily was going to say.

"After we found you, Chris, and Ashley telling us that Josh died..."

She started to speak and paused dead in her tracks. Because Josh was right next to me.
Her mouth gaped open and pointed at him.

"Finish your story. I'll explain mine," I confirmed.

Emily nodded, "Okay, so Matt and I went to go to the radio tower. We found out that people couldn't come to get us until dawn. Then, all of a sudden, the tower began to fall! Matt tried to help me once before saving himself."