Chapter 13 "Weak in the Knees"

Chapter 13 “Weak in the Knees”

 I glare off into the distance as I slap my horse into a light gallop. Glancing back at the old poor excuse of an inn, I am relieved to be doing something other than waiting for the first daylight, which was Finn’s original plan until I argued differently.  

Zamira and I hadn’t spoken a word to each other since our argument. I was determined not to be the person who apologized first, and it seemed Zamira had that same logic. It was getting difficult to hold back and remind myself that we weren’t in the ideal friend relationship we had developed over these past few weeks.

A small bubble of anger and annoyance at her and this stupid war, the stupid kidnapping that happened because my father was off at war, the stupid war that wounded my father and separated me from my brother. I was sick and tired of running around, looking for help and being turned down and nearly being caught, even though it was my own stupid fault; sick and tired with this hollow feeling in my chest, telling me that I never belonged and never will, anytime, anywhere.

I flick reins, directing my horse slightly ahead of our group. Noticing my movement, Finn rides up next to me.

“I thought I was the alfalfa leading the pack of angry wolves.” Finn teasingly moves slightly ahead of me.

“I don’t know about angry wolves…” I say, trailing my voice, trying to avoid the subject.

“Alex I’m not that stupid. I can clearly see something has happened between you and Zamira.” I stop him, before he can say anything else.  

“Well as you can see this wolf doesn’t want to talk about it.” I turn my head forward, and hold it high, as if trying to pretend Finn is just a slight breeze of wind.

“Alex…” Finn lowers his voice, as I catch a glimpse of Zamira riding up next to me. Great. Is all I can think.

“Finn,” She says purposely trying to ignore me. “We are being followed.”

“How many?” I ask while trying not to look at her, she just stares right past me looking at Finn.

“Three merchants, and five méchant soldiers.” She pauses for a moment. “I’m not positive they are following us. We just don’t need any more delays, don’t want the king to die early do we?” She sticks her nose in the air, with a smug look.

“I agree, but our horses need some rest if we want to go anywhere. Zamira, go ahead and scout for a good place to make camp.” Finn orders her, and she simply obeys and flicks her horse into a trot, graciously receiving the opportunity to get away from me.  

“See that wasn’t so bad.” Finn says after zamira is out of earshot. He looks at me, and I just glare back.

“Not so bad? She seems like she’s in a rush to save the one person she detests.” I add with a glare.

“She’s probably just saddle sore and wants to get off the horse.” Finn suggests, trying to reassure me. I just grunt in reply.

“You can’t just ignore her, at least say something to her.” I just glare at Finn.

“Its not that simple.”

“Yes, it is. Pretend I’m Zamira. Say something, anything to me.” He sits up straight and holds his head up high.

“Come on Finn, do I have to?” I groan, trying to ignore him.

“Yes, you have to.” I just stare straight ahead, without saying a word. Finn clears his throat, indicating for me to start a conversation.