Chapter Two

Both boys slept in that morning, marking the first day of the Christmas break. Though it was holidays, Fred and James still had a lot of work to do, and they knew that if they didn't at least do some of the holiday homework that Molly had sent them, then they would bear witness to category four Cyclone Molly.

James looked at the clock on his bedside table. Eight hours until the family arrives. He went downstairs into the kitchen to get breakfast, the house was empty, quiet and still, save for Fred who was already sitting down munching loudly on some cereal.

'Morning,' James said, entering the room.

'Mornin',' Fred replied with a mouthful of food.

They sat together in silence for a minute or two before they heard a faint knock at the door, an owl.

Since in Gimmauld Place there were no accessible windows in the house, the owls had to 'tap' on the door. Well, they tried, any tapping that was heard was usually the owls banging their heads against the door. Aunt Hermione thought that this was a form of animal cruelty. Uncle Ron ignored her.

Once the pair realised this, they raced towards the door. It didn't matter what it was, anything new was exciting. All of their parents had gone to work that morning, trying to get as much work done before their children came back from Hogwarts, so that they could spend as much time with them as possible. This allowed the boys to run through the house towards the door, pushing each other into the walls of the hallways with out getting in trouble.

Ultimately, it was James that won as he pushed Fred into one of the open doors leading into the sitting room, just off the hall. As Fred stumbled into the room landing on a couch, James reached the door and opened it.

Three seconds later, and a bit sore from the fall, Fred met his cousin at the door, equally as intrigued as James. What the boys saw was a small, plump owl laying sideways on the front poach, gasping for air. At the feet of the owl, was a small package. While Fred reached for the package, James picked up the owl and brought her inside to recover. He was thankful that none of their parents were home, or they would be busted and even further punished.

They found their way into the kitchen where they got some food and water for the owl before sitting down to open the intriguing package. 

'What do you think it is?' said Fred, hesitating before opening the package in front of him on the table.

James was about to provide an unhelpful answer to his cousin when they heard the front door open.

'Shit,' they both said in unison, realising that being found with an owl and a mysterious package from a stranger with a Canadian pranking apparatus was not going to end well for them.

They scrambled. James scooped up the owl and took it to the next room, hiding it in a dusty drawer. He was sure if his Aunt Hermione saw this, he would be scolded, but that was the least of his concerns at the present moment.

Fred grabbed the package and put it into the pocket of the jumper he was wearing. At that moment he regretted not putting on his robes that morning, then the package would have been easier to hide.

'Hello,' said a voice from the hall way belonging to their Uncle Ron. The boys let out a relieved breath as they realised they were not yet busted.

'In here!' James called out, glad to some one other than his parents, Fred and Fred's parents. 

Ron entered the kitchen and enveloped the boys into a big hug. 'James, Fred, its nice to see you two again.'

'You too, Uncle Ron, you're the happiest person we have seen in two weeks,' noted Fred as Uncle Ron released him from the hug.