Chapter Twenty-Two

Abigail groaned, waking up in an unfamiliar bed. Had she been in any more pain she would have worried about herself, but there was only one thing on her mind. "K-Kiana." She spoke softly, her voice hoarse and weak. Was the Neko alright? Did that man get a hold of her?

"Abby!" A small voice squealed from beside her and a soft pressure was suddenly gripping her hand. As Abby's green orbs adjusted to the light of the room she was able to see Kiana hugging her hand.

"Oh, Abigail." Lily's voice hummed as her hands took hold of the teen's. "Kiana, your father and I were so worried about you. And Kiana refused to leave your side once they allowed us to see you." She said softly, her thumb gently rubbing her daughter's knuckles.

"K-Kiana's o-okay?" Abigail whispered weakly as looked back and forth between the Neko and her mother. 

"Thanks to you, yes!" Kiana chimed in with a wide smile. "You saved me. And I'm really glad too.  Th-that man might have taken me far away and I might have never seen you again!"

Managing a weak smile, Abby's hands cupped around the small child at an attempt to hug her. "Don't thank me, please. I-I wanted to help."

Lily watched her two daughters talk with each other, glad to have them getting along as well as they are. But there's still that man out there, and Caleb is currently making a few calls to some of his coworkers and police to make sure it doesn't happen ever again.

"M-Mommy?" Lily was pulled from her thoughts at the small, hesitate voice. But a soft smile crossed her face as she turned her gaze back to her girls, only to see just Abby. 

"Kiana? Dear, where'd you go?" She quickly rose to her feet and heard a soft giggle from the hospital blanket. 

"I'm stuck!" Kiana called out. She had been trying to find a way to get under the blanket and wound up getting herself tangled in the mess of fabric. "Whoa, hey!" She giggled again as she was suddenly blinded by the light and felt gentle hands lifting her from the soft covers, Abigail and her new mother both laughing.

"You should be more careful little one." Lily cooed, using a finger to stroke the top of her head. The door suddenly slammed open and she felt the Neko tense in her palms.

Kiana let out a small yelp and began to tremble, laying down and curling into a ball to try and make herself seem as small as possible. She didn't want to look to see who it was until she heard a harsh voice speak and was shocked at who she heard.

Meghan had caught wind of the break in fairly quickly and rushed to the hospital. The store closes early so she had been at home when the sirens went off. And all she had to do was question a nearby neighbor. She was worried about the family, but also Kiana, and her anger was bubbling tremendously. She wanted to make sure the Neko was safe. And wanted the man responsible for this put in a cage where he belongs, just as they had done to the poor thing all those times.

"Where is she?!" She hissed, her voice coming out harsher than she planned. She had just stormed past and didn't bother checking in, so she knew that security would come.

"Oh, you're that clerk," Lily said with a surprised tone, stroking Kiana's hair to calm the child. "And who are you looking for?"

"Kiana," Meghan responded, both answering and calling out as she was managing to calm her voice when she saw the trembling figure in the woman's hands. 

"M-Meghan?" Kiana whispered as she sat upright, her eyes meeting the woman's who had actually cared about her during her years at the store.

"Oh, thank the stars you're alright." She speed-walked over and plucked her from Lily' hands. 

"Excuse me, who do you think you are?" Lily took Kiana right back, bringing her close to herself. "I believe you owe me, her mother, and explanation."

"You're not her mom, just her adoptive mother. I had to watch the little four-year-old Kiana scream and cry as her mother was sold. Did you know that's the age they're able to leave their moms? Just four? And do you know how painful that is to watch? I would have quit by now if I didn't need the job." Meghan retorted bitterly before smiling gently down at the Neko. "I'm so glad you're safe...I heard about what happened."

Lily now didn't know how to respond. Just four-years-old and then they are taken from their parents? Her chest tightened at the thought of Abigail being taken away from her when she was just a little girl and turned her gaze to Kiana. "Sweetheart...y-you didn't tell me that."

Kiana's big brown eyes turned up to her with a sad look behind them. "I-I don't remember it a lot since I was still pretty little. I-I just remember being really sad a-and crying  lot." Tears began to roll down her cheeks as she attempted to hug her mother's hand. "B-But I have you now! A-And you won't ever leave me, right?!"

"Shh, no, of course not darling. Hush, it's alright." Lily murmured, placing a soft kiss on top of the small child's head. "You're my little girl now, and Abigail, Caleb and I will all take care of you. Okay?" 

Only nodding in response, Kiana cried softly against her. It was a mixture of feelings. Happiness, sadness, and even a little confusion as to why she could be happy and sad at the same time. The door again opened and Caleb stepped into the room, and she turned her head to look at him. "Daddy?"

Caleb's dark green orbs looked to his daughters, then met his wife's eyes and a wide smile crossed his face. "I just got a phone call from the chief of police. They caught a guy attempting to hide in an alleyway, we need to go in and confirm it's him."