It was a flare gun.

"Then I assume Avery, Allison, and I are better people that you guys, huh? Us weirdos... well except Avery. But we aren't the cool kids. Would you do that to me?" Brian said, turning to Allison.

"I don't have any friends." She answered.

"Well if you did?"

"No... I don't think the kinds of friends I would have would mind." She said to him.

"I know for a fact Avery wouldn't do that. She was already a friend to me before we even got in here, but at least she doesn't care what type of friends she has or what anyone thinks about it. I just wanna tell each of you, that I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't and I will not! Cause I think that's a really shitty..." Brian didn't even get to finish his sentence before Claire interrupted him.

"Your friends wouldn't mind because they look up to us."

"That's bullshit and you know it!" I yelled at her. Brian just told her that I was his friend and then she has the nerve to say that his friends look up to people like her. I was furious. How could she possibly think that I looked up to her?

"The last thing that I would ever do is look up to some self-centered bitch like you who walks around the school like she owns it! Believe it or not Claire, not as many people like you as you think!" I yelled, ready to go over there and punch her in the face. Claire just looked at me wide eyed, regretting the remark she had just made.

I felt a hand gently grab mine and I looked over to see Andy looking at me with soft eyes. I just let out a deep breath and squeezed his hand, still shooting daggers at Claire.

"You're so conceited, Claire. You're so conceited. You're so, like, full of yourself. Why are you like that?" Brian asked her.

"I'm not saying that to be conceited! I hate it! I hate having to go along with everything my friends say!" Claire said, crying again.

"Well then why do you do it?" Brian asked, a curious look on his face.

"I don't know. I don't... you don't understand, you don't. You're not friends with the same kind of people that Andy and I are friends with! You know, you just don't understand the pressure that they can put on you!" Claire said. Brian had shock written all over his face.

"I don't understand what? You think I don't understand pressure, Claire? Well fuck you! Fuck you!" Brian yelled before burying his face in his arms, no doubt crying.

One of my hands balled up in a fist, while the other started squeezing Andy's hand tight. I could see him tense up beside me, I was no doubt crushing his hand. But I was seconds away from getting up and showing Claire why I was in detention in the first place. I was ready to show her the one thing that I knew I was good at. But that unfortunately didn't happen. Brian started talking again before I got the chance to put her in her place for good.

"You know why I'm in here today? Do you? I'm here because Mr. Ryan found a gun in my locker." Brian said with tears streaming down his face.

I felt my heart drop and my eyes nearly popped out of my head as I turned to look at Brian. I didn't even know what to say.

"Why'd you have a gun in your locker?" Andy asked him.

"I tried. You pull the fuckin trunk on it and the light's supposed to go on... and it didn't go on, I mean, I..." Brian trailed off.

"What's the gun for, Brian?" I asked him, I wasn't even sure I wanted to know the answer.

"Just forget it." Brian responded, trying to blow off the question.

"You brought it up, man!" Andy said to him.

"I can't have an F, I can't have it and I know my parents can't have it! Even if I aced the rest of the semester, I'm still only a B. And everything's ruined for me!" Brian explained.

"Oh, Brian." Claire said, pity in her voice.

I noticed Andy look over at me, but I was too busy staring at Brian in shock. My eyes were wide and my jaw was still dropped. Andy let go of my hand and gently wrapped his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his side.

"So, I considered my options, you know?" Brian tried to explain.

"No! Killing yourself is not an option!" Claire yelled, clearly shocked like I was.

"Well I didn't do it, did I? No, I don't think so." Brian said in an irritated voice.

"It was a hand gun?" Allison asked Brian.

"No, it was a flare gun, went off in my locker." Brian answered, missing all of the looks we were shooting his way.

"Really?" Andy asked as he started to laugh.

"Brian." I groaned and put my head in my hands before I started laughing as well.

"It's not funny." Brian said, but soon started to laugh with the rest of us.

"Yes it is, fuckin elephant was destroyed!" Brian laughed.