SEVEN

"What?" Yun na lang ang tanging nasabi ko.

"You heard me right Sarah. Kaya hindi ka pwedeng basta basta pumasok sa mga ganung lugar kasi pag nalaman ng iba na may relasyon kami sayo, pwede kang mapahamak."

Pagkahatid sakin ni Khali sa bahay ay nakatulala pa din ako. Hindi pa din mag sink in sakin ang mga nalaman ko. Si Mark? Gangster? Malapit na ang kasal namin. Sigurado ba akong kaya kong mag pakasal sa ganung klaseng tao?

Madaming bumabagabag sa isipan ko. Hindi ko namalayan na nakatayo na pala si Mark sa likod ko. Tinignan ko siya pero hindi ko mabasa ang ekspresyon sa mukha niya. Matagal kaming naka titig sa isa't isa.

"Kanina ka pa?" I asked him. Umiling siya.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Bakit mo naman natanong yan?"

"I saw you crying." Lumakas kabog ng dibdib ko. Tumingin ako sakaniya at ngumit.

"I'm okay don't worry." I assured him. "Are you okay?" Tanong ko dahil napansin ko ang sugat sa labi niya. Napapikit ako ng maalala ko ang pag suntok sakaniya kanina.

"It's just a scratch." Tumango ako.

"Khali told me everything." I said not looking at him. "Why?"

"What do you mean why?"

"Khali told me that you kill people so you guys could live."

"Correction, I didn't kill anyone.. yet. Before I could kill them, they already surrendered." Casual niyang sabi.

"But Khali said-"

"Because that's the rule. You have to kill the opponent before they could kill you." Nanginginig ang buong katawan ko. Tinignan ko siya hanggang ngayon hindi ko pa din mabasa ang expresyon sa mukha niya.

"He also told me that my life's in-"

"Danger? It could be. That's why I told you to stay out of my business. Some gang will harm someone that is close to us in order for them to get even." Nanlumo ako.

"Why are you doing this?" And with that question, I saw something in him. But I'm not sure what exactly.

"Just fuck off. Stick your nose to where it belongs." And he left.

* * *

Isang linggo na ang makalipas nang malaman ko ang totoong ginagawa ni Mark. Hanggang ngayon hindi pa din nag sisink in sakin ang lahat.

"Sarah iha okay ka lang ba talaga? Kanina ka pa tulala." Tanong sakin ni Mommy habang nasa sasakyan kami papunta sa chapel dahil ngayong ang kasal namin ni Mark. Intimate wedding lang. Mga magulang ko lang, si Ninang Susan, Mark at ako lang ang invited. Alam naman ni Yumi at naiintindihan niya ang sitwasyon kaya okay lang kahit wala siya.

Sobrang simple lang ng kasal namin. I'm wearing a simple white tiered chiffon dress, my hair is loose down and it's curled at the bottom. I'm also wearing a simple make up. Mom cried when she saw me earlier. Dad's already at the chapel with Mark and Ninang Susan. When we arrived at the chapel, naunang pumasok si Mommy, inabisuhan ako na pag tumunog ang bell, dun pa lang ako papasok. My hands are getting all sweaty as I hold the boquet in my hands. When the bell rung, I exhaled my thoughts and open the door. As I open the door, I saw my parents smiling at me as well as Ninang Susang. As my gaze shifted to Mark, I held my breath. He looks dashing in his white polo that's folded up to his elbows, his blue slacks paired well with his brown leather shoes.

Napako ang tingin ko sakaniya, nakita kong nakatingin din siya sakin habang nag lalakad ako papunta sakaniya. Nang makarating ako sa tabi niya, he offered his hands to me, I looked at as I take his hand.

"Dear family and friends, we have gathered together here at this time to share in the joy and love of Sarah and Mark. The marriage contract is the most cherished contract in our society because it forms the basis for our social structure. This solemn agreement between Sarah and Mark has permanent legal standing, and we are serving as witnesses to it. By means of this ceremony, Sarah and Mark will become united in a special new way,"

"Sarah, do you take Mark to be your partner for life? To live together with him in the covenant of marriage? Will you love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, and, forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?"

I felt the weight of their stares at me. Magkaharap kami ni Mark ngayon, alam kong pati siya ay nakatingin sakin. Nararamdaman kong dumudulas yung boquet sa kamay ko dahil namamawis ang mga ito. Paulit ulit nag echo sa utak ko ang sinabi ng pari, do I really want to be his partner for life? I looked at the man in front of me, I look into his eyes and see nothing. Then my eyes started to get blurry because of my tears. I took a deep breath and answered.

"I do." Narinig ko sa gilid ko ang buntong hininga ni Daddy. The priest turned to Mark and asked him.

"Mark, do you take Sarah to be your partner for life? To live together with her in the covenant of marriage? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, and, forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?"

This time, I'm staring at the floor and not looking at him. But he held my hand tightly, I looked at him and he gave me his assuring smile. "I do."

"May all of us present today remember what we have seen and witnessed. May each of us do everything within our power to support and strengthen Bride and Groom as they journey together the road of life," the priest closed the book he's holding and continue. "You may now kiss the bride."

Mark slowly let go of my hand and gently cupped my face. He lowered his face to me I closed my eyes and I felt his lips.. on my forehead.