10 | Lover Boy

T E N

~I've got a hundred million reasons to walk away. But baby I just need one good one to stay~

a d e l i n

That night, I dream of Daniel.

A deafening shot rings out. My arm reels from the impact as bullet meets flesh.

Danny whips his head towards me, his face dirty with smudges of mud and his grey eyes wide. Before I can even process what had happened, he hastily takes the gun from my hand.

The sirens grow louder and I feel the blood drain from my face when the door burts open. Armed men enter the premise, their rifles pointed and eyes going from our disheveled states to the retreating backs of the vultures.

I feel realisation settle in me and with it dread. Pure, raw dread at what Danny had just done by prying the gun from me.

My friends, battered and broken share looks.

But those looks don't hold relief, they only hold horror for what was to come.

I break through the surface of consciousness with a start, panting after what had been more of a memory than a nightmare. I rub my eyes, hating myself for what had transpired that day. For what had been the price.

Sleep had not dared to come near me after that, something I learned the hard way.

Twisting and turning in my bed for an hour, I had finally given up on sleep and tiptoe downstairs to make myself a cup of the chamomile tea Candi had bought me after I'd mentioned my nightmares.

Going back into the foyer, I silently slide the enormous glass doors in the middle of the double staircase open, walking out to my backyard and being welcomed by the cool fall breeze.

I take a seat on the sofa swing, looking at the barely visible view.

It was without a doubt my favourite place in the whole house. I could sit here for hours with a cozy blanket, simply overlooking the gorgeous view of vast greenery that opened into everlasting hillsides.

The tiled floor flowed till the manicured grass of the lawn which was designed to resemble a hanging garden with the glass railings marking the ending of the premise and promising vertigo to acrophobics.

I sit there silently until the sun timidly peaks the horizon, basking the land in an early salmon pink and orange glow, spilling white puffy clouds into the sky in its wake.

Taking that as my cue, I head inside to prepare for my run.

Deciding to be the considerate cousin that I am, I don't bother waking Noah up, his heavy snores could be heard from the hallway and make my lips twitch in an amused smile.

Choosing the long route, I try to numb my mind and steer it away from thoughts about our past and the brown eyed boy with music. The playlists Tris had made me seem to work-at first.

No matter how hard I try, I keep going back to Itay, to the day that had started off so innocently but ended up being tained by so many bad memories