18 | Important Business

E I G H T E E N

~I used to be so happy but without you here I feel so low~

a d e l i n

I hadn't seen Caleb or Katy for the past hour and to say that it had been bothering the hell out of me would be an understatement.

I check my phone, sighing at the screen blaring 11:45.

Mase and Candi had also been out of sight, Tris and Jas they were having the time of their lives playing Dj.

Ash had dragged a very drunk Noah back to my house almost an hour ago, fretting over his safety since my cousin had a knack for reckless activities when under the influence.

Lastly Danny had been catching up with a few of his old friends.

Feeling my phone vibrate in my hand, I eagerly look down, only to switch it off with a scowl. The last thing I want to do right now is talk to my mother.

The dinner on Friday had been disastrous to say the least...

F R I D A Y

The clicks of my red bottoms against the polished wooden floor echo throughout the house as I make my way to the dining room.

I find my parents busy, already indulging in their meals and brush off the fact that none of them even bother raising their heads to look at me.

"You're late, Adelin." Father's voice meets my ears in tones of boredom.

"I was invited at 8, it's precisely 7:57 Father.  But please stop on my accord." I reply, mimicking his monotonous tone.

Taking a seat on the awaiting chair one of the butlers pull back for me. I give him a small smile of gratitude, placing a napkin in my lap.

"Surely you should know by now that one must always appear half an hour before the stated time, dear." Mother chimes in, still not looking up as she cuts her into her Kobe Steak.

I manage to hold in a sigh "Nice to see you too Mother. Don't fret though, I'll make sure to add that to my extensive list of rules one needs to follow in order to please Mrs Alderige."

Austin coughs in pathetic attempts to conceal his laughter. On the other hand, the woman in question does not find it nearly as entertaining.

This time she does spare me a look, her eyes moving up to meet mine before examining me like gum stuck under her heel. The disgust in them is stark as daylight.

"Honey, go and change. You will not eat with us until you do so." She states matter-of-factly, gesturing for one of the maids to pick up the plate of steak and sautéed vegetables from infront of me.

Her lips set in a thin line, blonde hair tied in a tight bun atop her head contrasting the cold grey eyes that none of us except Austin inherited as they bore into mine.

I incredulously raise my eyebrows at her.

She has to be fucking kidding me.

What kind of a mother even does that?

I look over to Father who sips his wine silently and then to my elder brother who looks at me with the same grey eyes yet his actually hold some emotions.

Emotions resembling sorrow and guilt.

His brown hair, the same shade all four of us share are now longer, his mouth slightly parted like he wants to say something. Those grey eyes searching for my blue ones in desperation.