Chapter Fifteen

The Test

Chapter Fifteen

"Come on, let's go get some breakfast." Jack said, pushing me through the group trees.

We were met by stares and horrible names thrown my way. I just ignored them but I could sense Jack tense up beside me. We kept walking until we came to the fruit trees.

"What would you like, princess? There are apples, pears, oranges and even some peaches over there if you want one." He said to me, pointing behind one of the apple trees. I settled for a peach and he walked in that direction, picking two. He handed one to me and then leaned against a tree. I did the same, leaning on one in front of him, causing us to be face to face. We both took a bite of our food and I smile spread across my face.

"This is really good. You know, I actually haven't eaten a peach since we got here. I've been sticking to apples mainly."  I told him, biting into it again.

"You're kidding, right? Only apples, doesn't it get boring?" He asked.

"It's food, if I like it I eat it." I responded, taking another bite of my peach. "I just haven't gotten around to eating a peach until now. I guess i've been getting a little distracted."

"You're strange, you know that. I still haven't completely figured you out yet and sometimes i'm afraid to even try. I mean, you basically forgot to eat a fruit. Who does that?"

"Well, sorry if I've been distracted by actually doing something useful unlike the idiot nose pickers doing nothing around here. Plus, it's kinda hard to decide what fake computer coded fruit would be programmed to taste best while i'm dealing with this disrupting crap that's going on." I took one last bite of the fruit, finishing it and I threw the pit on the ground.

"Wow, even eating breakfast is an obstacle course with you." He said, chuckling to himself. He threw his own pit on the ground. Pushing himself away from the tree, he grabbed my arm and pulled me to his side. "Don't worry though. It's one of the reasons I like you, you make things interesting."

"Well, isn't that funny? That's one of the same reasons I like you." 

❒❒❒❒

"What's the freak doing here?" John asked when me and Jack walked back. 

"Just leave her alone, John." Jack told him, trying to push me past him. John grabbed my arm, though, and pulled me back.

"What's your secret, freak? You had to make the bears disappear somehow." John pushed.

"I said, leave her alone." Jack hissed, yanking John's hand from my arm. People were starting to gather around us, listening in on what was going on.

"Oh yeah, what are you going to do if I don't? You don't have power anymore, remember?" 

"How's that going for you anyway? Because the last time I saw you, you were on the ground begging me to save your scared butt. If it wasn't for the fact that I took pity on you, the bear wouldn't have attacked me and let you get away." Jack said, looking pleased with himself.