Chapter Twenty-four

The Test

Chapter Twenty-four

And the dreams stopped again. I know I shouldn't be that worried about it, what with everything else going on, but it was all I had to give me a little bit of sanity. Jack helped too, but he had his own problems. He decided to help John run things around here, getting people off their butts and being with me at the other times. I'm kinda glad he did it though. Without him doing it, he might be slowly going crazy like myself. And what was sad is it only took three days. Just three days of Luke staring at me at random moments, my headache not going away, my sudden fear of Riley that has formed. They all led to my going crazy in just three days. No one but me and Jack seemed to notice this though.

"You aren't looking so good, princess." Jack said, sitting down beside me. He took my hand in his and just held it, trying to comfort me but still giving me my space, he always knew the best ways to do that. 

"Would you look very pretty if one of the people you thought was your friend stared at you everyday like they may or may not kill you? Especially after that friend told you that's what Reid wanted them to do but has barely talked to you since, even if the second they came back they said they had to talk to you. It's just confusing is all." I told him, leaning my head on his shoulder and forgetting about needing space, I needed him.

"I thought he would talk to you by now too. He seemed determined to and then after he said that threat type thing to you he just went back to normal. Besides for the kinda sorta death glares that is." He said. "And, not to pressure you or anything, but you still haven't told me what he was talking about when he said that Reid took you to some strange place."

"How is that my fault? You're gone with John most of the day now and i'm here, just here sitting in the shack and trying to make my freaking headache go away." I sighed and sank deeper into him. "Never mind. I'll tell you later. Can we just change the subject to something else right now? How was your day?"

"We don't seem to be the type of couple that just sits around and asks how the other one's day went, princess." He said with a light chuckle. I jabbed my elbow into him, causing a noise of pain to come from his mouth but I could tell it was only to give me some enjoyment, I can tell when Jack forces it.

"I am continually wondering why everyone thinks we are some lovey freaking couple and I think it has to do with comments like that one, Jack. How many times do I have to tell you i'm not your girlfriend?"

"You sure kiss me like you're my girlfriend." He smirked. 

"Whatever, just get back on topic."

"Fine. Besides for John stopping in the middle of building those traps to hopefully catch the next creature that attacks us so he could flirt with Brittney, nothing much happened today. And you?" He answered, kissing me lightly on the cheek.

"I had an apple for lunch." I said, that being all I could really think of. "Okay fine, you're right. Asking you how your day was is just awkward. It's definitely not our couple style, that is if we were a couple and you had any style."

"Joke all you want, princess. One of these days you will call yourself my girlfriend and look at it as the highest honor."