Chapter Twenty-five

The Test

Chapter Twenty-five

Everything that happened next would forever be locked in my mind, finding it's way into my thoughts whenever it pleased. The action started when Jack lunged, trying to grab Riley and ending up punching Luke in the jaw when he tried to stop him. But Riley didn't need the help, lifting her hands in the air and pushing Jack with what seemed like no effort at all. 

"For a disrupter, you're useless, Luke." Riley calmly said, dusting off her shorts and carrying on as if nothing had just occurred. "Grab him and i'll get Lexi."

Luke did what he was told, a hint of guilt coming to his face. He touched Jack, somehow making him fall and go still. I made my way to Jack as Riley made her way to me.

"What did you do to him?" I screamed at Luke, now holding Jack in my arms and watching as his chest slowly stopped moving, he didn't seem to be breathing.

"I'm so sorry, Lexi." Luke said. Then, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Riley.

"Alexandria James." She said with a smile. "We're in need of your assistance."

And I watched as my own pixels were moving away from my body, dispersing throughout the test until I was gone.

❒❒❒❒

I woke up crying, reliving every moment of what just happened in my mind. Jack stopped breathing just by Luke's touch. My brain told me it had to be part of disrupting but I couldn't know for sure.

"I must say Riley, you have proved more effective in bringing me Lexi than the others. Good job." A voice said. I looked up from my place on what felt like a metal floor and saw Reid.

"I was only doing what you programmed me to do, sir." Riley responded.

Programmed?

"I especially enjoyed your last words before you brought her here. It has a nice ring to it." He told her.

"I figured since that's what you said to Ms. Daniels three years ago, I should say it to Lexi. It seemed only fair since they are going to be in here together."

Reid stepped closer to me, bending down and making it where we were face to face. He flashed me one of his evil grins. "Yes, that's right, Riley. They will be seeing a lot of each other while they are here."

"What do you want?" I somehow managed to ask. 

"That is a very hard question to answer, Lexi." He said.

"Then tell me why she had to kill Jack." I pointed at Riley, tears threatening to spill out again.

"One, I didn't do anything to him, Luke did. And two, he's not dead. You don't need to worry about your oh so charming little boyfriend, Lexi. I would be worrying a tiny bit more about yourself right now." Riley answered for Reid.