Chapter Twenty-eight

The Test

Chapter Twenty-eight

Did I want John to punch Luke? Most definitely. Was it proving to be a good idea that he did? Not really. But it's not like we could go back in time and stop the impact of fist and face. The next few minutes were filled with questions being shot my way about where I had been and Annie, Danny, and Caleb chewing out John because he punched Luke. But what made them shut their mouths completely was when I turned around and did the same thing, adding to the redness that was already forming on Luke's face and causing a smile to form on my own. Like I said, it may not have been a good idea that John punched him but that didn't mean I wasn't going to have a turn.

"Well, that was unexpected." John said. I didn't say anything back, spotting Jack towards the back of the shack and making my way in that direction. He was laying down on the ground, looking like he was sleeping but I knew he wasn't. But he was breathing, so that was good. 

Seconds later, John was beside me, his hand tight around Luke's arm, dragging him. The rest of my friends followed, still not saying anything since my sudden action. I turned my attention back to Jack.

"How do we wake him up?" I asked Luke but the question was also slightly asked of myself. 

"I don't know." He said, yanking his arm from John but failing miserably in his attempt. I could see John's patience leaving and the next thing I knew, he had Luke pinned to the ground.

"Listen here, Luke. You will do everything in that freak power of yours to wake him up. You hear me?" He hissed at him.

"Don't you mean, freak power of ours?" He shot back. "Yeah, I know about you being a disrupter, John. Working with Reid has its perks." Again I saw that flash of guilt I saw right before Luke had taken Jack down. And a thought also entered my mind.

If Reid knew, why didn't he take John from the test with the others?

But I dismissed it. There were more important things to think about right now.

"Just be glad I didn't do anything worse than punch you when I walked in here, you piece of crap." John said, releasing him and getting up. "What do we do now?" He asked me.

"Well," I heard Annie say, my heading turning to her. "you could start with telling us what in the heck is going on."

"Like, just putting this out there, why you guys are so mad at Luke and why you both punched him." Danny added. "Yeah, let's start there, shall we?" 

"I would agree with them but I feel like this is something I don't want to hear." Caleb said. "But at the same time i'm also curious about what you mean by disrupter." I turned to John, him seeming to be the only person I could ask for some guidance. It was strange to think about, John was the enemy in many ways and now I kinda needed him, much like I thought Luke was my friend but his betrayal still happened. And now the same was happening, Luke was the enemy but I needed him so I could find out how to wake Jack up, that is if he actually knew how and he just wasn't telling us.