Chapter Sixteen

The Test

Chapter Sixteen

The sun was going down, giving us about fifteen minutes before it would be dark. I was sitting in the grass, just talking about some random subject with Annie, when Jack came and plopped himself beside me, placing his hand in my own. And even though it's been four days, Annie had a smile plastered on her face like every other time we've done anything similar since we told our friends we kissed. I ignored her as usual and she got up, leaving me and him alone, the smile still on her face. I turned to face Jack.

"Any reason you decided to interrupt the lovely conversation I was having?" I asked him.

"Isn't there always?" He released my hand and wrapped his arm around me, pulling me toward him so we were closer.

"Hey, what do you th-" Jack brought his hand up and silenced me only to hear Annie giggling loudly in the background, obvious that she saw what Jack did. "You did that on purpose." I said, pushing slightly away from him.

"I am offended that you think that. It's completely true but still, absolutely offended." He laughed, causing me to laugh too. 

"So, was that your reason for you coming here? So you could make Annie laugh about every little thing we do?" I wondered, running my hands through the grass.

"No, but it was pretty funny hearing her laugh like that."

"So, that wasn't it. Then come on, tell me why you're here." I said, wishing he'd tell me already.

"What, me giving you some company isn't enough reason?" He smirked.

"Just stop being your normal Jackish self and tell me already."

"Fine, I just wanted to be a good little friend and ask you if you've had anymore memories, considering i'm the only one who knows you've had one." He told me. "So, have you?"

"No." I replied, frustrated. "All I know of my life outside is I have a brother named Marcus and apparently we used to swim and build sandcastles and live our happy normal lives like happy normal people. Nothing else has come up and it pretty much sucks." 

"It's only been four days, give it some time. I know you want to remember, trust me, I want to remember my life too. But you shouldn't get mad about it, it'll only make it worse, Lexi." I turned to face him again.

"How is it fair that I can heal my own wounds and make bears disappear in front of everybody, but when I have a memory about my life I can't make it happen again? Tell me the logic there."

"I'm not really sure what to say, Lexi." He said to me, getting up. He reached out his hand to me and I took it, him helping me up. He leaned closer to me. "But there is one thing I can do, if you let me, that is."

"And what would that be?" I asked, closing the space between us, a smile coming to my face.

"You know what, who cares if you let me. I know you'll enjoy it." His forehead was now touching mine.

"Then, get it over with already."

"Your lack of patience concerns me, princess." He said, closing the space completely and connecting our lips. Many beautifully real moments later, he hesitantly pulled away. "I'll never get tired of that." He said, touching my cheek.

"Me neither." I told him, pulling his hand away even though I didn't want to. "Come on, we need to get back before it gets dark."

"Yeah, you're probably right. Let's go." 

He started walking, me beside him. We came to the shacks and he led me inside, seeing our friends around the shack. Me, Jack, Danny, Luke, and Annie all share one shack with injured Caleb now. John didn't want us getting close to him, afraid he'd catch whatever it was that he says makes us crazy, so he put us here and told us not to sleep in anyone else's shack. Apparently, he could make that decision because he was in charge. Though we could have, we didn't argue, we just went with it, not wanting to start another fight and me not wanting to be called a freak while I was trying to sleep.