Chapter 21/Part 1 - Show Stopper

Taking to the air was not an altogether unpleasant experience. Saloonka's fiery friend did not go too high, which was probably for the best. Although they did have to stop a few times to untangle the baskets from the city stalks. Otherwise, it was a nice, smooth drift through the sky until they had crossed the Alpheron and passed over the Ladies, all dressed in their Season's best. None could compare with Vasherri's finery though.

"Wait!" Saloonka called to them.

He brought his flying rat down much too quickly and landed in a complete mess of ropes and basketry.

"That was most improper, sir!" scolded one, raising a hand to bring the march of Ladies to a halt around her.

"Yes. There was meant to be a bridge for you, my apologies." he replied and flung himself from Duskerro's neck, landing surprisingly well on an upturned basket.

Feidai leapt down after him, with her petticoat puffing out like a mushroom cap as she dropped.

Vasherri was in no such rush, and made her way to the ground with as little lost dignity as possible. The last thing she wanted was to give those Tyvern strumpets any reason to think her any less graceful than themselves. Unfortunately, a loop of rope had other ideas and landed her socks-over-knickers in another basket.

Feidai helped her out of her undignified position, but by the hushed exchanges between the Ladies, Vasherri could tell it was too late.

"I was referring to the manner in which you landed your dragon. How dare you show the beast so little regard as that!" the Lady chided Saloonka as he hopped down to her level.

"Yar, I do nay like ye tone, lassie!" Feidai roared and shook her hat at the Lady. "For ye to think a dragon cannae land 'imself shows less regard."

"Mum also struggles to land himself with any control, and there's nothing wrong with that," Saloonka said and pulled Alphonse out from under his armpit. "Dragons are just clumsy like that, but you can hardly blame them, what with being such ridiculous creatures and all."

"I save all my coordination for knitting," Alphonse honked.

"I should assume this is Kyos?" the Lady narrowed her eyes at the sock.

"No, I am. Honestly, you're all as daft as each other," Alphonso grumbled.

She touched his head and lifted it to look him in the buttons.

"I did mean you. Come unravelled, did you?"

"Think you're smart for establishing that?" he sneered in reply. "Undo it if you want to prove your wits."

"Good luck with that. I made sure there's not a loose fibre left in us," Alphonse grinned.

Vasherri was aware that the stares of the other Ladies still had not left her after her fall and shrunk back slightly, sure they would have nothing nice to say about her.

"Is that a Wyverkess?" murmured a much younger Lady. "She's even more beautiful than I imagined. Everyone must think us so plain by comparison. I feel a complete stalk next to lumps like that."

"Aye, she 'as warts as big as an ogre's. They're fair impressive," Feidai nodded and gave Vasherri a cheeky jab with her elbow.

"You have nothing of the sort to worry about, darling," she smiled at the precious, young thing.

"Indeed, we Ladies don't keep knowledge and practice other crafts to be admired for lesser virtues," the first Lady said haughtily with a look down her nose at Vasherri's warts, then her eyes strayed to look with more admiration towards Feidai. "And what might you be? You're like no goblin I've ever seen."