Chapter 3

I forgave Kayla the next day. It really wasn't a hard decision to make. She was crying in front of the school when I got there. She saw me and threw her arms around me when I got close. With her body next to mine, I remembered my feelings for her, and how she was the perfect girlfriend before all the zombie hooker business started.

          "I'm sorry you had to see that last night," she said between tears. I ran my hand through her hair.

          "Don't worry about it. I just wasn't expecting it. I know you have to eat brains now." I shuddered slightly at the memory.

          She snuggled closer so I let myself relax and enjoy the moment. "You're the best boyfriend ever. You really are. Even after everything that's happened you make me feel loved." She kissed me on the mouth. It was a long passionate kiss and I felt myself getting excited.

          "Whoa," I said pulling back. "We're still at school, remember? Save some for later." She laughed at me and then pretended to pout.

          "Fine. But no running away this time," she warned.

          "Deal," I said. A thought occurred to me as I walked away. "Kayla?"

          "Yeah?" She turned and I looked her up and down. Her hooker outfit was growing on me.

          "Do you think you could finish dinner before I get to your house?"

          She frowned, self-conscious of her new diet. "Jack..."

          "Just saying."

          "Yes, I'll have dinner before you get there." She turned to go to class.

          I didn't want to hurt her feelings but the brain eating was a major turn off - and tonight I wanted some special time.

          I saw that Tyson bastard coming at me and pretended I didn't see him. It didn't work.

          "Jack man," he said, a stupid grin on his face.

          "Hey."

          "You are one lucky guy. Kayla is hot!" He made some kind of inappropriate noise with his mouth. I wished I had a staple gun on me.

          "That's what you said." I kept walking. He followed.

          "She was always hot. But now, the way she dresses..." He whistled.

          I stopped. "I know my girlfriend is hot. I really don't need to hear it from you. Got it?"

          "Dude, I was giving you a compliment. No need to get an attitude about it."

          "Keep it to yourself," I said. He stared after me like I was some kind of jerk. I really didn't care. Things were stressful enough without his ignorant comments. I thought about my plans with Kayla that night and smiled. Tonight was the night.